7mm-338 lapua imp

joe30007

Im building a 7-338 lapua imp. I need to have ptg build a reamer. Does anyone have a fired brass or a drawing? PTG has a 338 lapua imp on file can get them to change the neck for me but im going to shoot the 175 smk so I would like to have a brass to set a bullet in for the reamer. Any help

Why do you want to shoot the 175smk? Sounds like a sweet cartridge but that bullet's bc will really hurt performance. But your cartrdge. Just sharing my thoughts.

Isn't this basicly a 7 AM? I know the 7 AM is a 7-338 Lapua imp variant. Maybe talk to Kirby rather than pay for another custom reamer?

Oliver

Kirby is 8-9 months out on work. The 180 bergers dont like it over 3200-3300. Any other ideals?

I'm in the process of building the same caliber now. Planning on shooting 200gr wildcats....Anything else would be uncivalized!:D

I'm changing shoulder angle, body taper and bumping the shoulder a bit.

Good points. Ddnt know irony was that far out on work.

Just ran it and at 1000yarfs a 175smk at 3400 vs a 180 Berger at 3200 the Berger has just a quater minute less drift at 1000. Once your past 1k it makes more of a difference however.

I think you don't have too many bullets to choose from, that can handle that much speed. Maybe some boutique bullets like the JLKs or such. Or some GS solids, if they are legal to hunt with where you live/hunt.

I have never had a problem with the 180 bergers at 3200fps which is about max for a straight 7mm/338LM I built mine to shoot the 200gr wildcats but I have not got around to ordering any and other projects have taken precedence.

You could push them harder, but that is the velocity I am getting....but then again once I had the gun rebuilt I have fired it less than 40 times, and I blew the first one up with 17 rounds down range. I was going for accuracy more so than for velocity.
I really do not think there is anything you can do with the 7/338 that you could not do with the 7RUM unless you want to run upper end loads. The lapua brass does make that a little more obtainable with case life. I do however think that the lapua case lends itself to being improved, more than the RUM case. One day this project will get back on my mind and I will order and improved reamer and run improve mine. Till then I will keep shooting the light but very accurate load I am using right now.

I can't recall whether it is 95gr of wc872 or 95gr of 870 but it shoots well enough that I am not too interested in tweking it.

Didnt mean anything against wildcat bullets. I just didnt know the whole story just knew that you couldnt get them right now. What will the .284 200gners cost?

I just built a 7/338 Norma Imp. and took it to the range today for the fist time and so far it looks pretty good I will take chronograph next time. Ken
DSC01307.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts