7mm & 243 Win: Picking a powder

CleanShot

Hello

Many of you helped me get through the hump of picking a press so now I'm in to picking a powder (and primer). The two rounds I'll be reloading are 7RM and 243W. The powders I'm looking at are H1000, H4832sc, Retumbo, and RL22. The powders don't need to work for both cartridges but sure would be nice. Availability is the elephant in the room for this discussion.

I found Retumbo and H4832 (not SC) at one vendor. But H1000 is near impossible to find. This is the only vendor that has two of the powders I'm interested in so I can make shipping more economical. However those aren't the ones I had high hopes on. I thought the H4832SC and H1000 would be my winners.

So questions are
1) in this environment does one just pick up what you find or wait?
2) am I looking at the right powders?
3) how do I match the primer to these?

Thanks
Sam

I would strongly consider RL26 which can work for both and has been shown to provide excellent velocities and an insensitivity to temp swings.

This is my shopping list:
  • Hodgdon H1000
  • Hodgdon H4831 SC
  • Hodgdon Retumbo
  • Alliant Reloder 22
  • IMR 4831 – 1 lb
  • CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers No. 250
  • CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers No. 200
  • Federal Premium Gold Medal Large Rifle Magnum Match #215M

I'm probably looking to buy too much stuff. But given availability just because I shop for it doesn't mean I'll actually find it all.

By the way I don't see any of the RL 26 in the Barnes load data sheets for the TTSXs. Althought I did find this Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide but that bullet weight is 140gr and a TSX not tipped. How does one translate that into their usage?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.