7mm 180vld max speed.

Skimbleshanks

Well I have most the parts for my next rifle sitting in my closet. It is going to be a big 7mm of some sort. Most likely a STW or RUM. I have an 8 twist Shillen that can finish at 30" but I'm kind of concerned that I might push the 180's too fast. I wanted to use the 195's but I am kind of tired of waiting and want to start shooting. So has anybody pushed these too fast to failure? Too fast for accuracy? This won't be a plinker so barrel life isn't at the top of the list. Really I want something that is at the top of the heap ballisticly to poke at deer way out there and elk less way out there. Thanks for your help.

I'm pushing the 180vld-h a little under 3200 with zero issues. That's with 81 grains of vit. N570 in a 7STW. My 168vld's are at 3275 with same accuracy as the 180's. I would think if you stay under 3300 you will be fine. Plus there is not much use pushing any faster then that. The best powder for the STW would be N570. But good luck finding it. Lucky I have a few lbs, but still not enough. Good luck!

My 7 Rum is pushing the 180VLDH at 3300fps. No problems. 29 inch Benchmark barrel. Shoots awesome!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.