7mm 180gr VLD Hunting

I was skeptical if I could stabilize the 180gr since Berger says 1:9 twist is optimal, I know not minimum but still. My Remington 700 has the 1:9.25

Alright so I went with 0.01 off the lands with RL23 and loaded up with 62.0gr, 62.5gr and 63.0gr.

62.0gr gave me the best group at 0 49" at 100 yds. 62.5gr opened up to 0.78" and 63.0gr opened up even more.

Now I will try the 61.0gr at 0.02, 0.03 and 0.04 and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and stay safe

20201029_214927.jpg

I was skeptical if I could stabilize the 180gr since Berger says 1:9 twist is optimal, I know not minimum but still. My Remington 700 has the 1:9.25

Alright so I went with 0.01 off the lands with RL23 and loaded up with 62.0gr, 62.5gr and 63.0gr.

62.0gr gave me the best group at 0 49" at 100 yds. 62.5gr opened up to 0.78" and 63.0gr opened up even more.

Now I will try the 61.0gr at 0.02, 0.03 and 0.04 and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and stay safe

View attachment 222303

Off to a great start! Thank you for sharing your success. Let us know how you do on the seating depth. Have you checked your bullet stability on the Berger website to give you a better idea what it will do, especially at distance? Here's a link if you're not familiar with it. Pretty neat tool I like to use.

Last edited:
Off to a great start! Thank you for sharing your success. Let us know how you do on the seating depth. Have you checked your bullet stability on the Berger website to give you a better idea what it will do, especially at distance? Here's a link if your not familiar with it. Pretty neat tool I like to use.

Thanks squeeeeze, I'll look in to that tool and try it out and will keep you all posted.

Stay safe

what kind of groups was this rifle shooting before trying the berger, looks like it is starting out good with it, I bet you can get it to close up with small powder changes, seating depth or a different primer good luck and keep us updated

what kind of groups was this rifle shooting before trying the berger, looks like it is starting out good with it, I bet you can get it to close up with small powder changes, seating depth or a different primer good luck and keep us updated

Thanks JMW67. With lighter bullets like 140gr and 150gr Ballistic Silvertips I was getting 0.5" groups, and the same with the 162gr Interlocks. The 162gr SST I got it to under and inch. Also have some 160gr Gamekings both SP and HP that I need to try out.

The 180gr VLDH's I got them on a good deal from a member here along woth sone 168gr Classic Hunters for my 7mm-08 that are looking good also.

Great minds think alike, I was also thinking lighter powder charges, thinking of 61.0gr and 61.5gr, and see what happens.

Thanks again and stay safe

I am going to try out this bullet in my 7mm Rem Mag with rome RL23 and I'm curious how far of the lands is best for it before I load up some rounds

TIA and stay safe
In my 7mm LRM they like to be 40 off and I'm shooting IMR7977. Of course every barrel much less cartridge is going to vary. Good money says VLDs usually like to run real close or way off. I know you're looking to use RL23 but you might get more performance from RL26, if you can find it.

In my 7mm LRM they like to be 40 off and I'm shooting IMR7977. Of course every barrel much less cartridge is going to vary. Good money says VLDs usually like to run real close or way off. I know you're looking to use RL23 but you might get more performance from RL26, if you can find it.

Thanks Vance. I tried RL26 when I got this rifle and had some pressure issues in the springtime at 90 degrees, imagine at 115 degrees in the summer. So I used it on lighter loads for practice. IMR-7977 is an option I also have been thinling about if RL13 don't work out.

I got 5 lbs of RL23 to try out because of its temp stability and its what was available a couple of months ago. H1000 was in my plans but that's also unavailable.

The max range I'm confortable shooting at an animal right now is 600 yds so these loads will be perfect for now.

Thanks again and stay safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.