7mm 180gr Berger Hunting vld @ 2800fps

distantfoe

Not having much luck working up a load for a 284 winchester with 168 bergers. Although I've had a few promising groups with 180 vld's at 2800 fps. I'm a bit concerned the lower velocity won't expand sufficiently at extended ranges on elk/mule deer. (I've killed a lot of game with 168's from other rifles)

Any experience with expansion of 7mm 180vld's at ~2800fps on game.

Not having much luck working up a load for a 284 winchester with 168 bergers. Although I've had a few promising groups with 180 vld's at 2800 fps. I'm a bit concerned the lower velocity won't expand sufficiently at extended ranges on elk/mule deer. (I've killed a lot of game with 168's from other rifles)

Any experience with expansion of 7mm 180vld's at ~2800fps on game.

It would appear that all Berger VLD's need an impact velocity of about 1,800 ft/sec to ensure reliable expansion. Some expansion takes place at lower velocities but it may be highly reliant on the impact surface.

Muzzle velocity is largely irrelevant.

Yup, just compare your trued-up dope on a ballistic program, and find out where the bullet goes under 1800 fps. That would be the approximate range limit.

Ive got the 180 VLD good to 900 yards with an impact velocity requirment of 1800 fps. Thats just a quick check on JBM though.

Plus or minus a little for different atmospheric conditions. Where I do my shooting, JBM says the bullet will stay above 1800fps until 970 yards.

I use the 180 gr Berger in my 7mm and have not had any issues on game at any of the distances that I shoot at. My velocities are good here is my load

64.6 4831 sc
Remington Brass
Fed 210 primer
180 gr Berger VLD

Good shooting

I have a 7mm rem mag, I shoot elk,deer hogs to 350#'s(out to 600yds). I shoot Barnes 145Gr LRX bullets/68 grs-H4831 @ 3150fps it is laser accurate and so far everything has droped dead right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.