7mm 180 hybrid vs 184 f-open hybrid

Last reloading session I was working with 215 hybrids. Broz's favorite elk bullet. I simply used a pin to see if it went in the open tip. Check 10 or so and you'll immediately see what we're talking about. The closed tips can be opened up by drilling them using a very small bit. Maybe someone knows the correct size then chime in. If not contact Broz and he'll help out. Or you can use the closed tip bullets for practice and load work ups.
Bruce

I always use a .040" bit too clean any of the Berger's. This puts the jacket wall back close to normal and allows hydraulic action to occur more uniformly. I Chuck the drill bit in my press and simply hold the bullet in my hand. The bit will center itself nicely. Drill clear thru to the hollow cavity. The vld's are more shallow than the hybrids and elite hunters.
The elite hunters that I've drilled usually take less prep. They seem to be better than the vld's right from the facory.
DRILLING DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE

You can go to a welding shop and get a torch tip drill kit also. It's about the size of a pen with an assortment of bits that it'll accept and you just spin it by hand. Works good for me. I've had good luck with bergers too for the most part but I just had a 230 out of my rum come unglued and pretty well destroy the entrance side of a muley at 120yds. First of that I've seen personally. No pics but the shoulder was ruined and it was bloodshot from spine to brisket. Probably been in on 20+ kills with them previously in various calibers so the average is still good I guess. Never lost an animal from them.

Was wondering about an update if anyone's who has used the 180s has tried the 184s and how they behaved during load development and performance on game?

I have posted this before, but anyway for discussion purposes on this thread.

This is a 180 Hybrid that was shot out of a 7LRM into the bull in my avatar at 650ish yards. The bullet was on the opposite side under the hide. I have taken other animals not quite that far with the same setup and never had an issue with the Bergers.

image.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.