7mm 180 grain Berger, what cartridge?

300win

I am looking at cases that will push the 180 bergers at around 3000-3100 fps. The rifle I am rebuilding is already a 7 stw but with the long 180 bullets the magazine will be useless. Any data or ideas would be appreciated.

I was shooting 180 AB in my 300 mag because bergers wouldnt fit in the clip and i didnt want a single shot. I loaded up some of the 190 one day just goofing around yote hunting. I seated them in until they fit in the clip and they shot good so i took it to the range and to my suprise they shot 5 shots into one hole. I havent measured how far they are off the lands but i bet its int the .150 or farther off. You might try it it just may work in your 7 like that.

Then there's the 7 RUM, and even better, the 7 Allen Magnum...and you will need a new magazine box (Wyatts or RUM).

Last edited:
Steve,
I found my load data for the 180 Bergers in the 7MMWSM. I know the velocities seem rediculous, but these are the readings my crony was giving me.( it is a pact) These loads were developed in January. I don't believe I tested this load in the summer. My load for the 162's that I developed in Jan. were to hot for in the summer. I am quite confident that with a couple different powders and a 30" barrel 3000-3100 is very do-able. here is the info I copied and pasted from one of my previous posts. I should have my 32" Broughton 5C 1 in 8 twist spitten' 180gr. Bergers within two weeks. I will post those results.

308nate

The best powder I have found for the 180 gr. bullet in the 7MMWSM is reloader #25, start with 65 grs and I worked my way up to 67.5 gr with no pressure signs. Muzzle velocity out of a 30" Krieger is 3,150 fps and accuracy is awesome
Hogdon's retumbo would also be a good one, but in my experiance, which is not that extensive, retumbo did not like to be a compressed load as velocity spread increased drasticlly once the bullet started to compress the powder.
FWIW,
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts