7mm 175gr Sierra GK?

Totoro

Hey fellas, has anyone had any first hand experience with the 7mm 175gr Sierra GameKings?

Looking into the heavier offerings for my 7RemMag in factory foddler.

Thx!

A friend of mine uses that bullet.
He put a really bad shot on a huge cow at just under 200 yards.
It knocked her down but she got up and put some distance between us but we found her dead. That bullet would have done its job if shot placement was better. Maybe take a gander at the Hornady Eldx also. Prices should be close.

I've never used the 175, I use a Barnes 160 TSX and if does the job just fine. Killed three so far 120,225,344 yes. Recovered 2 of the 3 bullets and they look like a picture in a magazine, perfect expansion.

At one time, the Partition was the gold standard for Rocky Mountain elk. I've used and still use 160 grain Partitions in my 7MM Rem Mag. They will shoot through-and-though the biggest of bull elk.

I'd go with a 175 grain Sierra GK and an excellent elk bullet. A three dollar bullet won't kill any deader than dead. A 175 grain Sierra GK will kill just as dead as a bullet costing ten times as much.

gun)
I've never used the 175, I use a Barnes 160 TSX and if does the job just fine. Killed three so far 120,225,344 yes. Recovered 2 of the 3 bullets and they look like a picture in a magazine, perfect expansion.

Barnes are a little different than the Sierra. In Barnes, you want to go lighter to get optimum performance on game. In his 7 Mag, 175 game kings should be fine.

SGK will work just awesome on an elk if you put it where it needs to go. The good thing is they go where they need to go as long as the shooter is able, as they are a very accurate bullet. They shoot under 1/2" in my rifle.

If you have a 1:9.25" twist or better, even though Berger recommends a 1:8", you might want to try the 180 HVLD or Hybrid. I shoot the 180 Hybrid in mine, and they kill elk with authority. My buddy shot my 180 Hybrid hand loads in his brand new Sako 7RM, and they shot under 1" from a brand new factory 1:9.25" twist barrel, and factory Hornady Precision Hunter, Nosler Trophy Grade both shot 1.25" groups, and HSM into a 4.5" group..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.