7mm 168 smk. Who's used this on elk sized game?

Re: 7mm 168 smk. Who\'s used this on elk sized game?

[ QUOTE ]
Any bullet at 800 yards shouldnt be placed in the shoulders if thats the only shot you have to take then you should wait for a more opportune shot even if it means waiting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a elk with a high shoulder shot @ 800 with a 7mm smk. just not out of a 7-08 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

d-a

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I do not have a problem using the smk for hunting. But because I lack experience with it I asked for some advice. My original loading with the 168gr smk was very accurate indeed, but left the muzzle at 2750 fps. Now that I have it running at 2950 it has opened up my groups to about 2.25" at 400yards. This is very acceptable accuracy. My 160AB load is know running at 3050fps and last night it put 5 into 1.75" at 400 yards. Using the factory listed bc for these bullets the Accu-bond, on paper, is the better performer balistically. Termanally I don't know which will work better, I don't have enough experience with either. Most of the bullets I used in the past were Ballistic Tips, A-max, and some partitions.

For this elk hunt I'm going with the AB. I will still work with the smk to find a "lights out" load.

Go out and rent or buy Beyond Belief dvd. This guy shoots a 7mmRem and 168VDLs. The video is very good and he shoots deer, coyotes and elk all with 168VDLs out of a custom gun shooting them at over 3000fps. He shoots an elk at over 900 yards and all shots are one shot kills! 168VDL will kill any elk out there period just practice and shot placement!! Just go and get the Video all questions will be answered as to will a 168gr Berger VDL is a killer on ELK!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
This guy shoots a 7mmRem and 168VDLs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you sure about that?

[ QUOTE ]
The cartridge is called the .284 WRP and is VERY similar to the commercial 7mm STW. The only difference is in the throat geometry. I change the length of freebore and leade angle to make it shoot better. 7mm STW factory throats are not the best design for good accuracy. Standard brass and loading dies work perfectly and I suppose so would factory ammunition if I wanted to increase ammo costs and decrease performance levels. This combination will shoot a 150gr bullet at 3400 fps in the 26 inch barrel. I use both Barnes XBTs and Swift Sciroccos and still can't figure out which one I really prefer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a quote from Best of The West

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the 175 SMK?
It is built a little heavier than the A-max.
The BC is better than the 168 SMK.
But, if the 160 AB shoots good, I think you have your answer. Just maybe not at 800 yds.
My $.02

I would think because the berger 168g vld has a better BC then the 168g and 175g SMK by a fair margin. Sierras 168g smk is almost pitiful at .488 or whatever it is. Bergers is .640 I dont know what the 175g smk is right off the top of my head, but I dont think its even .600.

Just checked Sierras site and they list .608 for the 175g SMK. Not to bad, but not as good as .640, plus it would be going a tad slower, so I dont think ballistically its better then the 168g berger VLD. Im bout ready to go shoot 400-700-800 yards with mine, just got the trigger done at 2.25#, time to check drops laying prone w/bipod. Getting ready for deer season.

John Burns needs to update his website.....he uses a Bergers now....they are one of his sponsors....plus I have spoken with him about them....he uses the 180gr Berger, not the 168.

IChaseCoues, At 800 yards the 160AB will have 1531 ft-lbs of energy, and a velocity of 2076 fps. (jmb calcs.)

If this isn't enough WHAT IS?

I dont think he was implying that if hit the AB wouldn't do the job. I think it was the hitting it part he was referring to. The extra wind drift alone would shy me away from them.

d-a

d-a,
Thanks.
Yep thats what I meant. And I wonder if the AB would open up much at 800, don't know. But it should hold up better at 100.
Not trying to argue or anything, just hadnt seen mention of the 175.

I am in the decision process right now with my 7.
Right now I only have the 175 SMK's and the a-max because I have not gotten to town in the last few months to get some bergers. (yeah, I know I can order them, but shipping sucks for just one box of bullets)
I cut an a-max and a SMK apart the other day and yep,
the SMK has a thicker jacket.

I have seen elk run off after being hit with a large Partition. I have seen Oryx (Gemsbok) run off after a double shoulder shot from a large Failsafe. All but one bull elk were recovered shortly after the shot. The one was found the next day and guess what, bad placement.
And I have seen mule deer and antelope drop from a 50 gr ballistic tip.
Bottom line to me is "hit 'em where it counts".

Your right I ran the numbers (jmb) and the 175 smk beats the AB by 2.5 inches at 800 with a 10mph wind. Energy is about 100 ft. lbs. higher. Thats if I can drive it to 2850 with the 280ai. Don't know if thats enough to matter though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.