7mm 168 berger VLD on elk

mcseal2

I recently bought an old Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem mag for a project action, and it turned out to be a shooter. I got it sighted in, let it cool, and shot a .6" 3 shot group at 100yds with IMR 4350 and 160gr accubonds. I let it cool again and put 3 more into the same group. I'd planned to build this action into a 300WM to shoot 200gr accubonds for elk, but can't find a reason to tear down a rifle that shoots this well.

I wanted to hear some results from people who have actually used the 7mm bergers on elk. I have shot or seen shot 3 with the 160gr accubond, and none of the bullets exited. I wondered if I'd be better off shooting a more explosive bullet if it's not going to exit anyway. I love accubonds and their performance, but I like to use a heavy enough one to get an exit wound. I would limit shots to 650yds max because that is as far as I practice regularly.

Even if I go ahead and build a 300, I will take this rifle for a back-up gun, so I want a reliable bullet for it.

Any opinions?

bergers are lovely on elk. hunting partner has shot 2 buls with his 7 stw and 168's. simply loves them. first bull was killed at 655 yds. 2 shots neither bullets exited. the other was at 510 and we found the bullet at the back of the lungs in a pile of jelly. bang flop on the second bull. bergers i beleive are designed to penetrate 2 to 3" and te leave all te energy in the animal. try them. you will like them. i am still waitng for the 300 gr. 338's

bergers are lovely on elk. hunting partner has shot 2 buls with his 7 stw and 168's. simply loves them. first bull was killed at 655 yds. 2 shots neither bullets exited. the other was at 510 and we found the bullet at the back of the lungs in a pile of jelly. bang flop on the second bull. bergers i beleive are designed to penetrate 2 to 3" and te leave all te energy in the animal. try them. you will like them. i am still waitng for the 300 gr. 338's

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel better. I have used the 87 & 95gr bergers on deer in my 243, and the 140gr berger in my 264WM. My 243's get used by my girlfriend and a neighbors wife for deer, and they love them. We have never had a deer travel over 20ft after being hit with one of these. I was curious if they would do the same thing on larger game with heavier bone and muscle.

168's work great on elk at all ranges, the only problem I could possibly see in your situation is the mag length on your ruger will force you to seat the berger deep causing you alot of jump and you might not get the accuracy you are looking for. Most of my rifles that are set up for berger vld's shoot best 5 thou off the lands, however I have got a couple of weatherby's to shoot good with a big jump. You should see if your rifle likes them and if it does your GTG .

I recently bought an old Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem mag for a project action, and it turned out to be a shooter. I got it sighted in, let it cool, and shot a .6" 3 shot group at 100yds with IMR 4350 and 160gr accubonds. I let it cool again and put 3 more into the same group. I'd planned to build this action into a 300WM to shoot 200gr accubonds for elk, but can't find a reason to tear down a rifle that shoots this well.

I wanted to hear some results from people who have actually used the 7mm bergers on elk. I have shot or seen shot 3 with the 160gr accubond, and none of the bullets exited. I wondered if I'd be better off shooting a more explosive bullet if it's not going to exit anyway. I love accubonds and their performance, but I like to use a heavy enough one to get an exit wound. I would limit shots to 650yds max because that is as far as I practice regularly.

Even if I go ahead and build a 300, I will take this rifle for a back-up gun, so I want a reliable bullet for it.

Any opinions?

The Bergers will work fine if you remember a couple of important principles. Long range, try to hit some resistance to get the bullet to expand. Short range, stay away from shoulder shots on elk sized game. People will tell you it doesn't matter and sometimes it doesn't (SOMETIMES).....Rich

Shot an elk this year with that bullet at 448 yds. Hit him at the base of the neck and it dropped him in his tracks. I am a firm believer in expending all of your bullets energy in the animal (no exit), just my 2 cents. I think you will love the Bergers! Good luck

Any opinions?
Well I hope they are as good as I'm hearing because I just loaded some burger168gr vlds for the 7 rum I just bought

Lots of good bullets to roll with. The plain old 175 Sierra BT and or the 160 BT is a killer as well. I've used the 150 NBT a ton load over the years, mainly out of my 7 Mashburn Super. Plenty of BC, accurate, capable killer, and to date I've yet to have one stay in a critter.

Some of this stuff is just way too easy and people turn it into rocket science:)

I agree I have hunted forever with a 30 06 with remington core lokt 165s and they've never let me down but I've recently built my 308 remington 700 into a pretty cool target rifle and then decided I'd be the mighty long range rifle builder so I bought a 7mm remington ultra mag and im sure you know as well as I that how accurate your ammo is at 13 or 1500yrds is very critical. Not that I'd ever shoot anything that far away but I'm building this rifle to do just that so everything has to be as perfect as possible even the case diameters and roundness has been miked and if there out more than half a thou they are not being loaded same tolerance is being used on everything on this rifle I'm building its my first build to sell and I need it to be perfect