7mm 162 gr A-MAX any one use on big game

I have used it in a 7mm mag at 3060 fps. Have shot Red deer, fallow deer, pigs and tahr out to 630 yds with it. Nearly every animal was DRT. It is an excellent long range game round on deer size animals. Don't know about elk as there are not too many down here in NZ.
I use it from 300 yds +. Inside of 300 yds I use a 160 accubond.

What cartridge are you going to use it in?

Stu.

This bullet is very accurate in my rifle, but I have not had a chance to use it on a game animal yet. I am wondering how it would do at 2500 fps inside of 400 yds. Any opinions or experiences?

I have shot a red stag at 358 yds, impact velocity was approx, 2565 fps. Shot entered in the crease behind the front leg and exited just behind the opposite front leg, mainly ribs hit, might have clipped the shoulder blade on exit.

I think you will be fine.

Stu.

I used them in my 7mm STW and they shot well but when i shot a nice buck at 40 yards it just penciled right through him and was never recovered. Speed was around 3300 at muzzel so your speed might be better (slower) for using this bullet. Switched to Berger and had no problems since.

I've shot many 162gr A-Max bullets from my 7STW @ 3,150 ft/sec. Terminal performance on whitetails was fantastic at any range. High shoulder shots or traditional hits behind the foreleg were both instant death. However, shoulder shots literally dropped them on their noses.

I shot a pronghorn at just over a quarter mile with the A-Max. Bullet impact was a little low in the chest. At the shot I saw something hanging between the lope's legs. It walked a few steps and disappeared. When I got over to the animal I noticed that the entire abdominal wall had ripped open dropping the lope's entrails on the ground. I believe that part of the bullet, probably including the jacket, hooked a turn on impact and caused this strange occurance. Very unusual terminal effect but dead is dead.

I give the A-Max a thumbs up for deer size game.

I've shot many 162gr A-Max bullets from my 7STW @ 3,150 ft/sec. Terminal performance on whitetails was fantastic at any range. High shoulder shots or traditional hits behind the foreleg were both instant death. However, shoulder shots literally dropped them on their noses.

I shot a pronghorn at just over a quarter mile with the A-Max. Bullet impact was a little low in the chest. At the shot I saw something hanging between the lope's legs. It walked a few steps and disappeared. When I got over to the animal I noticed that the entire abdominal wall had ripped open dropping the lope's entrails on the ground. I believe that part of the bullet, probably including the jacket, hooked a turn on impact and caused this strange occurance. Very unusual terminal effect but dead is dead.

I give the A-Max a thumbs up for deer size game.

I wonder if the extra 150-175 FPS was enough to make the differance in working and not working? I guess it is possible.

In 284 Win/280 Rem rifle MV's the 162 A-Max did great on antelope from 200-1000 yards this past October.

I used them in my 7mm STW and they shot well but when i shot a nice buck at 40 yards it just penciled right through him and was never recovered. Speed was around 3300 at muzzel so your speed might be better (slower) for using this bullet. Switched to Berger and had no problems since.

When you say never recovered, do you meen the bullet or the buck?

Never shot the A-Max but I do shoot the 162 Hor. BTHP ,the old one with a small hole in the hollow point, they realy hit hard and kill quick, of couirse I am pushing them at 3550 fps Flat shooting and hard hitting

Biggest deer i ever shot at i lost because of one, quartering shot front shoulder[no other place to shoot ]hit bone deflected and deer ran off. Switched to berger vld huntings no proplems since

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.