7mm-08ai and 168 Berger’s

I dont know for everyone else but for me when I got above 47.2 grains of 6.5 staball at 2.800 COL with the 168ABLR I started producing case ejector swipes Hornady brass. Different brass will be different and rifles will also react different. I did see some really fast loads with some second fired Hornady brass but no accuracy. I also ended up with loose primer pockets on some of those fast loads. For now I'm ok at the slower speed and having some good consistent loads. If I single feed and seat much farther out then I could probably gains some speed with about the same pressures I'm at but then I'm single feeding and trying to reinvent the wheel. I'm trying to keep them in the mag. The longest I can go having easy feeding or ok feeding is 2.820 in the mag and my next time out I need to find some longer rocks to kill. I seen a few places out in the Owyhee's that might be ok but archery season has started so I don't want to be that guy out shooting in some ones hunting spot.

Well I hit pressure with 43.5gr of RL15 behind the 168 Berger. Max was at 2759, but I had a nice velocity node right at 2700fps.

Yes indeed. Thinking the 168 Berger's might be my go to. Still need to play with the 140 hammers a bit though.
Try StaBall 65 as, IT, WILL get,.. 2,750 FPS or, MORE, with, the 168 Bergers !
We tested, 3 Powders and SEVERAL Bullets. This is, WHAT we found to be, the BEST for, accuracy and Velocity in the 7mm-08.
My sons getting, Ackley Improved,.. Velocities and his 7mm-08 is accurate to, 700 Yards with this bullet / powder, combo.
He started at 45 grains and stopped at, 47.5 ish for 2,765 FPS ( his Accuracy Load ) out of, a 22.4" Tikka, T-3X with, the Factory "Throat" angle re-reamed to 1.5* and Polished with, JB's. Now, Rifle producing, Sub 1/2 MOA with this load. "Work up",.. CAREFULLY if, trying !
StaBall 65 is pure Magic,.. in some Cartridges !

Try StaBall 65 as, IT, WILL get,.. 2,750 FPS or, MORE, with, the 168 Bergers !
We tested, 3 Powders and SEVERAL Bullets. This is, WHAT we found to be, the BEST for, accuracy and Velocity in the 7mm-08.
My sons getting, Ackley Improved,.. Velocities and his 7mm-08 is accurate to, 700 Yards with this bullet / powder, combo.
He started at 45 grains and stopped at, 47.5 ish for 2,765 FPS ( his Accuracy Load ) out of, a 22.4" Tikka, T-3X with, the Factory "Throat" angle re-reamed to 1.5* and Polished with, JB's. Now, Rifle producing, Sub 1/2 MOA with this load. "Work up",.. CAREFULLY if, trying !
StaBall 65 is pure Magic,.. in some Cartridges !
Gotta find some first! Working with what I have for now but will grab some other powders as they come available.

Went back to the range this afternoon. Couple promising loads. 4166 behind the Hammer and RL15 Behind the Berger.
1AD4AA12-B6BD-4D2C-AF86-49DDE75F7D00.jpeg
AB817AB1-4F3F-4C34-A922-FDB4F5964810.jpeg

Sweet groups and velocity on that load. How many firings are you getting on your 168 Berger load and what brass Elkeater? I may have to back off some more on my 168 ABLR's. I shot the brass 3 times (Hornady brass) and the primer pockets were getting loose. The lower load with the 162 ELDX seems to keep the primer pockets tighter for a lot more firings. I have 6 on them and they are still doing good. I only bump the shoulder back about 3thou when resize and anneal before every resize process.

@ Elkeater,..
You gotta, a couple of GOOD Loads there, NOW comes, the TOUGH Part,.. you gotta, pick,.. ONE !
Might want to, shoot another group of, each load, to be SURE, first.
I usually shoot, Two groups of, 5 Bullets each, to verify that, the first test load,.. was, really,.. "good".
Good shooting !

Last edited:
Sweet groups and velocity on that load. How many firings are you getting on your 168 Berger load and what brass Elkeater? I may have to back off some more on my 168 ABLR's. I shot the brass 3 times (Hornady brass) and the primer pockets were getting loose. The lower load with the 162 ELDX seems to keep the primer pockets tighter for a lot more firings. I have 6 on them and they are still doing good. I only bump the shoulder back about 3thou when resize and anneal before every resize process.
Well being my first wildcat I have to admit I've trashed a couple primer pockets in 3 firings on my Nosler brass. Now that I know where pressure is I expect I'll see 7-10 firings before I lose primer pockets. That 168 load above isn't all that warm and the best Hammer load isn't at pressure either.