7mm-08

shooter65

Looking for some loads for longe range paper punching with the 162 amax or the 168 berger vld.

Short range load 600 yards or less with a lighter bullet with a flatter trajectory for tactical matches.

Thanks.

I run the 140 ballistic-tips over 42 grains of Varget w/BR-2 primers in a Browning A-bolt. Can't help with the the 162's or heavier as that when I use my 7 Mag.
I have also used WW760 powder with the lighter bullets with good results. Just use a mag primer.

The two powders I prefer are IMR 4007, and RL-17. My load with 4007 is for my chamber which is throated long for the 162 A-max. 44.0 grains, BR-2 primer, rem brass. This load is not max in my rifle but you should work up. I attain 2750 with a hotter load that worked well out to 1,000 yds. RL-17 gave the velocity but not the accuracy.(I haven't spent too much time with this powder yet) my bullets were jammed but other people get good results with a 25-30 thousands jump. On 6mmbr.com there is cartridge guide just for the 7mm's. Lots of good info.

I've been toying with Re 17 and the 162 gr Amax recently. I got up to 45.5 grs and groups were starting to tighten up nicely. Not a hint of any pressure signs and velocity was in the 2680 range out of a 23" barrel.

Have a test loaded up from 46 to 48 grs in .3 gr increments, but it just to sloppy out to get to where I shoot. As a foot note, 48 grs is a pretty compressed load of Re 17, crunches pretty good when you seat the bullet but doesn't push the bullet back out even after sitting around for a few weeks.

Chris

It was the Hodgdon manual max. I was getting 100 fps over max velocity with very mild pressure signs. Start 10% low and work up in your rifle,

Joe

I run the 140 ballistic-tips over 42 grains of Varget w/BR-2 primers in a Browning A-bolt. Can't help with the the 162's or heavier as that when I use my 7 Mag.
I have also used WW760 powder with the lighter bullets with good results. Just use a mag primer.
+1 Very good load.

I just picked up a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and have been playing around with 120 grain Nosler BTs. They actually have a very good BC, at .417. I can get ~3020-3050 fps with 42.5 grains RL15, WLR primer, and a necked down Lake City surplus .308 case, bullet seated ~.02 off the lands (so quite a long neck). Accuracy looks good at 200 yards, but I unfortunately haven't taken it farther out yet.

The numbers put it pretty favorably against the heavier bullets per JBM ballistics. A 162 grain Amax at 2650 drops 12.1 MOA and drifts .4 MOA/mph at 600 yards. My load should drop 10.7 MOA and drift .5 MOA at 600 yards. So it seems to shoot flatter, and with virtually the same drift. At least on paper....

I have some 162s, but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.