7mm-08 with 120gr TTSX and RL17

LVJ76

I'll start with this, I'm not a huge fan of mono's, I've seen them fail to expand at longer ranges, however I have a box of the 120gr TTSX that I plan on using on my 7mm-08 for Javelina. Where we hunt it's usually shots under 300 yds and I shoot them in the head/neck.

In several books I see that RL17 will match of give me more velociy than Varger and IMR-4064. (I have both IMR-4064 and RL17)

I am limited to a COAL of 2.82" and on most of my reloads I use 2.80" with great results. Question is, do I set up my test loads at 2.80", 2.81" or 2.82" with this bullet?

TIA and stay safe

Last edited:
I would stick with 2.800". It gives you .020 of room left in the magazine for reliable feeding. I would adjust seating depth from there until you find the best bullet jump.

Last edited:
Luis

Barnes recommends a minimum jump of .050. So I would start at that depth as your longest OAL. They also say that you can test to as much as .250. I personally wouldn't want to give up that kind of case capacity in a -08.

I personally would run .05, .06, .07, .08, .09, .10, .11 and .120 as my test. I just load 3 rounds each, and I'd load an additional .05 set as sighters.

Please post or PM me your results bud!

Good luck,
Steve

I run the 120 TTXS in my 7-08 and seat to an OAL of 2.745. The top of the first relief groove.
I have been shooting Barnes for 30 years and they like a lot of jump. Also make sure your barrel has been cleaned well before you start load development as Barnes or copper bullet in general do not tend to play well with other types of fouling in the bore. Also they usually take around 5 rounds after cleaning to settle down and shoot their best.

I'll start with this, I'm not a huge fan of mono's, I've seen them fail to expand at longer ranges, however I have a box of the 120gr TTSX that I plan on using on my 7mm-08 for Javelina. Where we hunt it's usually shots under 300 yds and I shoot them in the head/neck.

In several books I see that RL17 will match of give me more velociy than Varger and IMR-4064. (I have both IMR-4064 and RL17)

I am limited to a COAL of 2.82" and on most of my reloads I use 2.80" with great results. Question is, do I set up my test loads at 2.80", 2.81" or 2.82" with this bullet?

TIA and stay safe
My experience with Barnes they normally like a longer jump I would start at 50thou. off and work back from there to.120 off in .010 increments

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.