7mm-08 ultimate youth elk cartridge?

The advice to download a 30-06 is better than trying do do the same with a .308 or a 7mm-08 because the '06 will easily handle very heavy bullets.

Nonetheless, do a web search for the effectiveness of the 6.5x55 Swedish on large game.

The Creedmoor and .260 Remington will do the same but can carry to slightly longer ranges.

They are more than adequate for Elk and will shoot flatter while keeping the recoil manageable.

One of my wife's rifles is a Browning X-Bolt 22" Stainless Stalker in 7mm-08 with a 6 fixed power Leupold. I changed the trigger spring and it shoots 139gr - 150gr ammo very well. We also have a Tikka T3x Lite in .270 with a 24" barrel. Both rifles have produced successful elk hunts 😊 Given the compactness of the 7mm-08 X-Bolt and mild recoil, that will be the rifle I use In a few years to introduce my grandkids to elk hunting.

Do we really want to inflict .308 Winchester-class recoil on a youth shooter?
Those loads are now where near 308 Win recoil. I've got a 6.5 CM and a 7-08 and the recoil between them with heavy loads is indistinguishable.

I agree with your logic, but not your application. Using your logic, the 7mm-08 is still the better solution.

From post #68 (SpeedGoatShooter37) "And you can get 150 grain bullets to 2800 in the 7mm-08, and 140s to 2950."

From MidwayUSA for .308 Win we see Federal Power-Shok 150 gr at 2920 and Underwood 144 gr at 2970.

That makes these loads indistinguishable in recoil for rifles of equal weight and fit.

The Creedmoor will yield a tad less recoil because the muzzle velocity is necessarily less for bullets of the same weight (sectional density counts!). Further, one can go all the way down to 85 gr lead-free bullets if one wants low recoil and flat shooting over the first few hundred yards.

Well you guys can disagree all you want about the 6.5 vs 7 in the mid size cases. I own a 7-08 and 260. Pretty darn even up shooting same weight bullets. Guarantee the animal wont know the difference. All I can say is CONGRATS to the youngster of the OP for their awesome elk kill as a youth. Great accomplishment. There on their way to a great hunting lifestyle.

I'm late to the party, but would like to add the 308 to the list. You can shoot the 130 ttsx now and load it heavier as they get older. Frontal area plays an important role in tissue damage. I have no issue with the 7.08. Just think the versatility of the 308 is greater.
I know a 175 Berger out of a 308 is nasty on elk out to 400.

I would agree with adding the .308 as a possibility. Kick is light unless all you've been shooting is old hard rubber pads.

I went through this with my son a few years ago. Had it narrowed down to the 7mm08 and the 6.5 cm. I went creedmoor. Way more factory options in CM than 7mm08. Plus match grade ammo that shoots lights out so I didnt have to worry about reloading for it if I didnt want to. Seriously the diameter difference between .284 and .264 is negligible. No animal on this earth will be able to tell the difference. Same weight class bullet the sd and bc will be higher for the 6.5 and will compensate for the slightly higher velocity of the 7mm08 at some point.

My boy is 13 now and practices with me out to 1250 yards. We hunt elk at 9k-11k ft. I would let him shoot elk out to 800 yards with his creedmoor and have confidence it will get the job done.

My buddy was researching at the same time for his kids and went with the 7mm08. He doesnt shoot much past 500 yds. The CM shine out past 500 when compared to the 708. Neither of us have any regrets.

My kids shoot the 6.5 CM and the 7mm-08 at deer with great results. My daughter kills elk with her 7mm-08 Browning Micro hunter Xbolt. It's very effective with 150 grain Nosler Partition's and we have a 400 yard maximum self imposed rule on elk. I just feel it's foolish and irresponsible to shoot an animal as large and hearty as an elk beyond that range with cartridges not producing 1200 ft lbs of energy. Way too much meat to waste to pad my ego. Shooting elk over 500 yds should be left to the big 277's i.e. wsm Noz. or Weatherby's, 280 AI, 7 mags, 30 and 33 calibers. I do like your plan of the 7mm-08 & 300 yds. Very successful plan of attack.

1200 ft lbs of energy
This is just an arbitrary number - there is nothing magical about 1200ft lbs or 1500ft lbs of energy. Somebody somewhere decided that was the standard, but there is nothing to back those numbers up. Min velocity required for your chosen bullet to expand is what we use. Plus if you run the numbers with a 140 or 147 eldm at 10000ft elevation you would be surprised how much velocity and energy they retain. Elk aren't hard to kill.

It may surprise me but I'm still not using it. I have a creedmoor and it's a great little rifle but at the end of the day it's a 400 yard elk rifle. I've also killed 100's of animal's over the past 30 years and know what kills em. I've never lost one and am proud to say it. It's all good, I'll do what works for me and you do whatever makes you happy. God bless America.

This is just an arbitrary number - there is nothing magical about 1200ft lbs or 1500ft lbs of energy. Somebody somewhere decided that was the standard, but there is nothing to back those numbers up. Min velocity required for your chosen bullet to expand is what we use. Plus if you run the numbers with a 140 or 147 eldm at 10000ft elevation you would be surprised how much velocity and energy they retain. Elk aren't hard to kill.
The other thing is pistol bullets are designed to perform at much slower speeds. Also ft lbs of energy of say a 10mm at 40 yards is under 600 ft lbs but has zero difficulty killing an elk at that range. Numbers are numbers. Facts are facts. You can mix them all together but facts will always prevail over theory.

It may surprise me but I'm still not using it. I have a creedmoor and it's a great little rifle but at the end of the day it's a 400 yard elk rifle. I've also killed 100's of animal's over the past 30 years and know what kills em. I've never lost one and am proud to say it. It's all good, I'll do what works for me and you do whatever makes you happy. God bless America.
We've killed a lot of elk out to 800 yards with a 260 and 6.5 cm. Never lost one either. I guess in some peoples hands the 300 rum is only good out to 400 yards on elk as well. Its all relative. Living in a state that allows high bc lead bullets probably helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.