7mm-08 Rem with H4350 or RL17?

I have one I run rl 17 in it is a 24 inch barrel running 46 gr. of rl 17 br-2 primer and a 150 ballistic tip getting 2857 fps

I'm in the process of testing several powders with 140 Nosler BT out of my Savage Model 11 with 22" barrel. The hunt with the 140 Accubonds. The NBT 140s are almost identical but cheaper so I'm using these for load testing. I just finished second round of 3 various powder charges on each powder. Staying just under max on most. I got some good groups out of Big Game, W760, RL16, and IMR4895. My next test is to take the best load of each and use my Magnetospeed chrono for velocity. I was using IMR4350 with 46 gr and was a decent load but just looking for better. RL17 was tested but I'll have to look at my notes. I hope to report back next week. I do remember from yesterday that I had a close to max load on the RL16 and it was a tight group so it should be tops on speed.

Well, a couple of items to mention... First, the 7mm-08 isn't too picky on powders. I have shot good groups using RL-15, RL-17, Big Game, H-380, IMR 4064, and Varget with various bullet makers and weights. Second, every rifle/barrel is different. It will tell you what it likes best, but you'll have to experiment with it.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 7mm-08. My hunting load is a max charge of Varget with a Barnes 120 TTSX. Fast, deadly, and accurate! With 140/150 grain bullet weights, my rifle is most accurate with either RL-17 or Big Game, with RL-17 giving me the highest velocities. I've noticed with my chronograph that RL-17 is temperature sensitive, but my point of aim stays nearly the same. All of my hunting has been done at 25 to 400 yards over the years, so I'm not too worried about the temp issue.

Have two 7-08's. Wife's factory Tikka T3 Lite (20") and my custom Stiller w/ Bartlein comp gun. Tikka shoots 140 AB's & Varget REALLY well although not fast, just accurate and deadly. 2640 fps+/- accounted for 6 African animals w/ 6 shots including huge Kuda & Zebra. I run 162g ELD-M in my match gun w/ H4350 at 2820fps. (26").
Good luck w/ the 7-08. Great round IMO.

For a long long time I've been using IMR-4064 for the lighter 120gr and 140gr bullets with great success and I still have quite a few pounds left of it, and for the heavier bullets ranging from 150gr to 168gr I've used IMR-4350, RL19 and IMR-4895 but I am running low on these powders.

I've decided I want to go with a temp stable powder that will also give me a little more juice. Looking at the Sierra, Nosler and Hornady manuals I saw that RL17 and H4350 are both up there. I also found that RL17 will also work good with 140gr bullets and provide more velocity than IMR-4064 and Varget.

I know some of you use these two powders on your 7mm-08's, so which one would work best with the mentioned heavier bullets? Or maybe try both?

Thanks in advance for the help and stay safe.
If it hasn't been mentioned already, might want to give Staball 6.5 a try. Not exactly sure why, but the 7-08's seem to like ball powders. I use Staball under a 160gr Accubond and I get 2800fps with a 26" barrel with accuracy. A friend shoots 50gr of Hunter under a 150gr Berger around the same speed and shoots groups that are literally hole in hole with a Remington Model 7.

RL17 will be tops in velocity in a 7-08 , with bullet weights 120 - 195 .

H4350 has the reputation of being very temp stable . it's usually very hard to find

Thanks jimbires. Most good temp stable powders are hard to find, I have a bit left of the onea I currently use and I'll just buy a jug when they becomes available.

I've got a tikka t3x. Mine loves varget and 120 nosler ballistic tips

My wife's Rem 700 loves 120gr Ballistic Tips but with IMR-4064, mine likes them but preffers 139gr SST's.

Our rifles disnt really like varget but again havent tried a lot of bullets with it, will give it another shot once I finish all the 4064 I have.

Thanks Goose71

Varget is working best in my new barrel but thats not in your question. H4350 is also accurate and very temp stable, never tried RL17. The best in my new barrel were Varget - H414 - and RL15 in that order.

Hey Savage, I knew youd chime in sooner or later, thanks. I know you've used H4350 before so I wanted to know ypur experience with it.

I have good loads for the heavier bullets just want to go with a more temp stable powder and that gives me a little more speed. I want to start reaching out a little further with this cartridge

Thanks again

Thanks jimbires. Most good temp stable powders are hard to find, I have a bit left of the onea I currently use and I'll just buy a jug when they becomes available.

My wife's Rem 700 loves 120gr Ballistic Tips but with IMR-4064, mine likes them but preffers 139gr SST's.

Our rifles disnt really like varget but again havent tried a lot of bullets with it, will give it another shot once I finish all the 4064 I have.

Thanks Goose71

Hey Savage, I knew youd chime in sooner or later, thanks. I know you've used H4350 before so I wanted to know ypur experience with it.

I have good loads for the heavier bullets just want to go with a more temp stable powder and that gives me a little more speed. I want to start reaching out a little further with this cartridge

Thanks again
You might give rl 16 a look I plan on it soon myself more temp stable than the rl 17 don't know about velocity yet but will find out

I know its not listed, but have you considered RL-16? It's usually available around here.

Thanks Tiny Tim, is it temp stable?

I have one I run rl 17 in it is a 24 inch barrel running 46 gr. of rl 17 br-2 primer and a 150 ballistic tip getting 2857 fps

Thanks JMW67, I know you had used RL17 and knew you'd shime in as well. Thats kind of what I'm looking for, higher speeds, pushing heavier bullets faster that in the past with the older powders. Thanks again.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, might want to give Staball 6.5 a try. Not exactly sure why, but the 7-08's seem to like ball powders. I use Staball under a 160gr Accubond and I get 2800fps with a 26" barrel with accuracy. A friend shoots 50gr of Hunter under a 150gr Berger around the same speed and shoots groups that are literally hole in hole with a Remington Model 7.

Thanks Sockeye66, I've read both good and bad on this powder, what I dont know is if its temp stable but it sure pushes bullets faster, might need to try it. Thanks again

You might give rl 16 a look I plan on it soon myself more temp stable than the rl 17 don't know about velocity yet but will find out

Thanks JMW67. I checked and saw RL16 right up there with RL17, will provably try it as well.

I'm in the process of testing several powders with 140 Nosler BT out of my Savage Model 11 with 22" barrel. The hunt with the 140 Accubonds. The NBT 140s are almost identical but cheaper so I'm using these for load testing. I just finished second round of 3 various powder charges on each powder. Staying just under max on most. I got some good groups out of Big Game, W760, RL16, and IMR4895. My next test is to take the best load of each and use my Magnetospeed chrono for velocity. I was using IMR4350 with 46 gr and was a decent load but just looking for better. RL17 was tested but I'll have to look at my notes. I hope to report back next week. I do remember from yesterday that I had a close to max load on the RL16 and it was a tight group so it should be tops on speed.

Thanks longbowelk, please let me know what you find, as I mentioned above I just saw that RL16 is also up there with RL17 and would be a good option as well.

IMR-4064 and IMR-4895 have always worked well for me with 139gr and 140gr bullets, 4064 has worked best. IMR-4350 has always worked very good with the heavier ones, especially 160gr to 168gr, it just doesn't push them very fast. Thanks again.

Well, a couple of items to mention... First, the 7mm-08 isn't too picky on powders. I have shot good groups using RL-15, RL-17, Big Game, H-380, IMR 4064, and Varget with various bullet makers and weights. Second, every rifle/barrel is different. It will tell you what it likes best, but you'll have to experiment with it.

I have a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in 7mm-08. My hunting load is a max charge of Varget with a Barnes 120 TTSX. Fast, deadly, and accurate! With 140/150 grain bullet weights, my rifle is most accurate with either RL-17 or Big Game, with RL-17 giving me the highest velocities. I've noticed with my chronograph that RL-17 is temperature sensitive, but my point of aim stays nearly the same. All of my hunting has been done at 25 to 400 yards over the years, so I'm not too worried about the temp issue.

Thanks Thorny. I have to try Varget again with some other 120gr and 140gr bullets I have.

I'll have to try with the heavier bullets and see what happens. I develop my loads at the temps I will be hunting at which are usually from 60 to 85 degrees, in February for Javelina we've had a couple of cooler ones in the 40's and ranges are from up close to 500m which I want stretch out a bit with this, so the temp stable issue is more for when I practice during the summer when it can get above 110 degrees. How tem sensitive is big game? Thanks again

Have two 7-08's. Wife's factory Tikka T3 Lite (20") and my custom Stiller w/ Bartlein comp gun. Tikka shoots 140 AB's & Varget REALLY well although not fast, just accurate and deadly. 2640 fps+/- accounted for 6 African animals w/ 6 shots including huge Kuda & Zebra. I run 162g ELD-M in my match gun w/ H4350 at 2820fps. (26").
Good luck w/ the 7-08. Great round IMO.

Thanks Weaselthis. Thats a nice velocity for H4350 with the 162gr in a 26" barrel. The Varget speed is slow but if it groups great ot is what it is.

H4350 I think is more temp stable than RL17 from what I've red so far, but now RL16 is also in the running. Thanks again.

I have yet to mess with it but the hybrid 100v might be in the running for the heavier bullets I have gotten good results with it in other calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.