7mm 08 reloading question

Just curious as to what velocities to expect with the 168's, and any powder recommendations? Thinking of trying them when (if?) I can find some.
sundance1972,
What powder(s) have you used in your 7-08 with success and what do you have on hand please?

sundance1972,
What powder(s) have you used in your 7-08 with success and what do you have on hand please?

Only handloads I've tried (haven't had the rifle long, and am still trying to find some good brass (currently using Rem from factory loads) ) are with Varget and a 120gr Ballistic Tip. Powders I have are:
H4831SC
H4350
H414
IMR7828
Varget
Benchmark
RL17

It's a 168 g bullet close to being to much weight for a 77mm 08. Do heavier bullets wear a barrel out more quickly, or do I have backwards.

Only handloads I've tried (haven't had the rifle long, and am still trying to find some good brass (currently using Rem from factory loads) ) are with Varget and a 120gr Ballistic Tip. Powders I have are:
H4831SC
H4350
H414
IMR7828
Varget
Benchmark
RL17
sundance1972,
VARGET -33.0gr start- 37.7gr MAX
H4350- 38.0gr start- 42.4 MAX (COMPRESSED LOAD)
Thats all we show on our list. If you are using the VLD bullet please go to our website and read "VLDs,Making them shoot" in the tech information for help on your bullet seating depth testing. Let us know here or ay [email protected] if you need any more help.

Thanks for the info! Now I just have to find some....
Its out there! From what I have been hearing from reloaders. The Mom and Pop gun shops seem to have an edge on availability on components over the bigger online and retail outlets. May want to make a few calls locally. You never know.

You will find all different load advice and they are all good and serve a purpose. For me I load heavy for caliber so I'm loading 162's and 168 gr bullets. The 168's are about the heaviest bullet you can push before getting diminishing returns on other factors such as down range energy, velocity, and stability of the bullet. My purpose is mule deer, and elk if I have a tag and carring my 7mm-08. If I have an Elk tag I would probably be going to the woods with my 300Rum. But the 7 is a great little cartridge even if it seems speeds are slower for heavy bullets. If you can find the 145 LRX bullets I have heard that this is the best of both worlds with speed and deep penetration on game which is what Barnes is know for. BC's are not as high on these as some of the heavyweight but with reasonable distance I think they are a great bullet. Personally I shoot 162 ELDX and 168LRAB. Will be loading the 168 VLD later this year for testing also. I have shot my 7mm out to 1300 yards with reasonable accuracy for practice and fun. Probably will do this again since now I have a couple of steal AR500 plates to setup but after hunting season is done.