7mm 08 reloading question

hammer111

I'm setting up to reload. I want to buy bullets. Can I use any 7 mm bullet, or do I need to get 7mm 08 bullets. Thanks.

7mm bullets work in all cartridges in that caliber. The 7mn-08 will often use lighter bullets than the bigger magnums, as there is not enough case capacity for best use of the heavies.

I have shot and reloaded the 7mm-08 since the cartridge came out. I really like the Speer 145 Hot-Cor great bonded performance for standard cup/core prices for the woods here in Pa. I also use the 145 BTSP Speer for covering the fields.

The 120 Nosler BalTip is deadly for Texas whitetails.The 139 BTSP from Hornandy does a great job too.

I haven't shot anything bigger as I have all the other 7mm magnum for heavier bullets 7mm Rem. 7STW, and 7RUM.

I have killed well over 200 whitetails with that 7mm-08 cartridge. It just plain kills.

111, loading the Berger 140 VLD for my grandson's 7mm-08 with Hornady brass and H4350. Tried several other bullets, but the Berger was most accurate out to 300 which is his limit at this time. Good luck

I went with nosler 140 by. I read a lot of good data on rl17. But nobody told me about the 28.00 surcharge for shipping gunpowder. Talk about sticker shock, holy fricken cow.

I reload the 7mm-08 for my wife. I use the 150gr Nosler ballistic tip and H380 powder. get 1/2" grouping @ 100yds with it.

I'm setting up to reload. I want to buy bullets. Can I use any 7 mm bullet, or do I need to get 7mm 08 bullets. Thanks.
hammer111,
Try our 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER hybrid hunting bullets. Very tolerant of jump, made to be used at magazine lengths and very easy to tune for. Your rifle will have to have a twist rate in the barrel of 1-10" or faster. If you have this twist rate you can also try our 140 gr and 180gr VLD hunting bullets but if your 7-08 is a short or short medium receiver you may not be able to seat these bullets to magazine length after doing your bullet seating depth testing on or off the lands due to magazine box dimensions. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

hammer111,
Try our 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER hybrid hunting bullets. Very tolerant of jump, made to be used at magazine lengths and very easy to tune for. Your rifle will have to have a twist rate in the barrel of 1-10" or faster. If you have this twist rate you can also try our 140 gr and 180gr VLD hunting bullets but if your 7-08 is a short or short medium receiver you may not be able to seat these bullets to magazine length after doing your bullet seating depth testing on or off the lands due to magazine box dimensions. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Just curious as to what velocities to expect with the 168's, and any powder recommendations? Thinking of trying them when (if?) I can find some.

I shoot hornady 139 btsp for a pratice load (that is also decent if I want to hunt it) with varget under it, its an affordable shooter. I hunt with the 145gr barnes LRX also with varget under it. Its very accurate for me but on the expensive side for regular target practice.