7mm-08 questions I need thoughts new to reloading

Most of us out west I would bet take there animals in the 7 to 10K foot range. I don't know to many that have taken animals at the tree-line unless your Jim Shockey in Kazakhstan, hunting Argali sheep where you don't start hunting till about 15 to 16K elevation. But those that have man that got to be some interesting hunts. :cool:

Anyways made it out to the range today and only really had 2 decent groups from the 6.5staball and the 168ABLR. Lowest charge and almost max at 47 grains for a 168grn weight bullet. (Hodgens posted data and yes this is a compressed load.) I'll say this though, Staball is to a 7mm08 what RL26 is to a heavy magnum. Velocities were quite impressive and yes I'm going to reload and retest again cause the group was still not that impressive. I'm trying to keep these at mag length. I did shoot some 160 AB with H4350 and the Hodgens data max load was pretty good and the velocity was pretty much spot on at 2580ish. No pressure signs on any of this so I got some more testing to do. I think the 4350 could be bumped up some more also or I might test these out with the 6.5 staball.

Most of us out west I would bet take there animals in the 7 to 10K foot range. I don't know to many that have taken animals at the tree-line unless your Jim Shockey in Kazakhstan, hunting Argali sheep where you don't start hunting till about 15 to 16K elevation. But those that have man that got to be some interesting hunts. :cool:

Anyways made it out to the range today and only really had 2 decent groups from the 6.5staball and the 168ABLR. Lowest charge and almost max at 47 grains for a 168grn weight bullet. (Hodgens posted data and yes this is a compressed load.) I'll say this though, Staball is to a 7mm08 what RL26 is to a heavy magnum. Velocities were quite impressive and yes I'm going to reload and retest again cause the group was still not that impressive. I'm trying to keep these at mag length. I did shoot some 160 AB with H4350 and the Hodgens data max load was pretty good and the velocity was pretty much spot on at 2580ish. No pressure signs on any of this so I got some more testing to do. I think the 4350 could be bumped up some more also or I might test these out with the 6.5 staball.

I've read many times here that Staball can be hard to group good or suddenly peaks in pressure.

I recently started using H4350 and RL16 with the 7mm-08 when I ran out of IMR-4350 last year and couldn't find it. I tried them with 150gr, 160g, 162gr and 168gr bullets. They both worked pretty good with nice sub half MOA groups on both my wife's and my hunting 7mm-08's.

RL17 also grouped very well with the 150gr ELD-X, not as temp stable but will still work great. This load is good out to 700 yds for deer.

Either of these 3 powders will work with the heavier bullets. Can't go wrong with them.

Hope you get this load to work.

I've read many times here that Staball can be hard to group good or suddenly peaks in pressure.

I recently started using H4350 and RL16 with the 7mm-08 when I ran out of IMR-4350 last year and couldn't find it. I tried them with 150gr, 160g, 162gr and 168gr bullets. They both worked pretty good with nice sub half MOA groups on both my wife's and my hunting 7mm-08's.

RL17 also grouped very well with the 150gr ELD-X, not as temp stable but will still work great. This load is good out to 700 yds for deer.

Either of these 3 powders will work with the heavier bullets. Can't go wrong with them.

Hope you get this load to work.
If you guys are overlooking IMR4451 Enduron, you're really missing out... just saying... It's easier to find available most of the time compared to RL17 and any of the 4350s.

If you guys are overlooking IMR4451 Enduron, you're really missing out... just saying... It's easier to find available most of the time compared to RL17 and any of the 4350s.

Thanks. A couple months ago I got 8 lbs of IMR-4451 to try with the 160gr TMK for my silhouette competition 7mm-08. On RL17 and H4350 I'm pretty well stocked right now and not to bad on RL16 but this last one I don't use it as much.

I'll find out how it works and go from there.

I have 2 more pounds coming of the 6.5staball so I'll probably get a load going with it for now but I'm always up for something new. What i really would like to have is some of the 162ELDX for now.

It almost isn't fair how much more energy and flat trajectory you have at 11,000' and little humidity/low barometric pressure. Correcting for sea level here in the extreme South, that same load you referenced above this post holding all else the same would only be good for about half the energy and several more feet of drop @1000 yds, yet could easily kill cleanly at beyond another 150 - 200yds out there. MAN, I wish I was in shape to climb!! 🤣

Beautiful rifle, beautiful country, beautiful buck, and beautiful shooting, my friend! I am envious!!
Yes your statement is true regarding alt. and is the reason I ensure I include facts in my details to allow all shooters to realize what parameters I live and hunt in

Coues bucks are tiny. 90-100 pounds. Not much there when you punch through the rib cage.
That is not a coues buck in the photo that's was an est 270ish lb mule deer and of course the elk are obviously much larger

please pay attention to the details of my load and alt. one will not get that performance at lower elevations

but please don't take my word for it look up the data to confirm for example at 9-11000 ft my set up still holds close to 1800 fps and 1000 ft lbs of energy plus the bullet design vicariates the vitals

please read Nathan Fosters excellent book on long range cartridges he does an amazing job detailing how this is possible with vast amounts of data to support his experience

Well little up date ran out of eldx so I got 166 a tip and with 44.5 grains 4451 20" barrel I am getting 2645 with good groups and the kick does not bother daughter so happy with that and she has done two bullseye first shots out two different times so looks like it's gonna be a good season for her.

Fierce Edge 7-08 18" barrel
120 Hammer Hunters
45gr Varget (no pressure signs and still room in the case for more powder)
.02 off the lands
OAL 2.264
Lapua brass
1" 5 shot group at 200 yards
No chronograph but they line up speed wise with a turret that was cut for 120 TTSX at 2770 out to 500yds

I'll be getting out this week to test the 168ABLR again. Hope to get some good groups but my expectations are mediocre as I have never had stellar groups with these in 2 different rifles.

Well little up date ran out of eldx so I got 166 a tip and with 44.5 grains 4451 20" barrel I am getting 2645 with good groups and the kick does not bother daughter so happy with that and she has done two bullseye first shots out two different times so looks like it's gonna be a good season for her.
Congrats! I think you've found the niche! You'll love the 4451 for many different cartridges if you load for others. Great job! Send us a picture of the youngster's first deer.

Finally found some 162eldx that I have on order. They are out for shipment. Hopefully this will be the combination of speed and BC/weight etc that I will be looking for. If all works well then it might be one of my go to guns for everything an it will be lighter than my senders in the backpack

Just got back from the range. I think my 168 LRAB load could shoot better if my trigger was lighter but then I through in some regular 160 AB on top of 4350. with 3 different charge weights and they all stayed inside an inch or right there at it. except for one I pulled. Maybe wishful thinking on the LRAB. My top load in the regular AB shot the best. Just wanted a little more speed out of them though. The staball is very much a speed daemon type powder. The same 47grn load produced 2800fps again according to my cheap chrono. It can be off by 50fps though. I think the 168 are pushing the boundaries of the twist rate on the barrel, usable case capacity, etc etc. Cases are not showing over pressure either and this is within Hodgens website data for 168grn bullet. Anyways I may just weight on the 162ELDX to come in and load some more of the 160AB as a back up and my 3rd back up is the 139 Hornady Superformer box ammo. They are generally 3/4 MOA out of the box. I'll eventually get something dialed in at 1/2 minute and leave it alone.