7mm-08 questions I need thoughts new to reloading

Just curious is the 4451 stick powder or small flakes?
It is a high-energy, mostly temp-stable extruded powder. I generally get higher velocities from it than from the other 4350s. It is suppose to be slightly slower burning than the 4350s, but in my experience, charges track right on top of IMR 4350, and I generally don't get quite as much in the case before reaching pressure as I would H or AA4350. I am currently running it in a .300 Win mag with 130gr Barnes and 124gr Hammer Hunters, and it's out-performing N555 at the moment. Going back to tweak some things and see if that's still the case in a few days. IMR 4451 is one of my favorites, and generally produces great groups when nothing else will.

So I started reloading for a 7mm-08 for my daughter to use this hunting Season and I started with a ladder test with 162 eld x bullets and imr 4451 and going of hodgon reloading website I am at max at 45 grains for that bullet and I am getting 2650 velocity which is ok in my eyes for a 20" barrel with no pressure signs at all but when you shake the round there is still room in case and the powder shakes so do you think it would be ok to keep working up in small increments looking for pressure?
So I started reloading for a 7mm-08 for my daughter to use this hunting Season and I started with a ladder test with 162 eld x bullets and imr 4451 and going of hodgon reloading website I am at max at 45 grains for that bullet and I am getting 2650 velocity which is ok in my eyes for a 20" barrel with no pressure signs at all but when you shake the round there is still room in case and the powder shakes so do you think it would be ok to keep working up in small increments looking for pressure?
That's fast for that bullet in a 20" barrel. I run the 162 ELDM at 2650 and previously at 2740 and have smashed bucks and bulls out to 1000 yards - you are most definitely over pressure

That's fast for that bullet in a 20" barrel. I run the 162 ELDM at 2650 and previously at 2740 and have smashed bucks and bulls out to 1000 yards - you are most definitely over pressure
oh I run 41ish grains of Varget not IMR

Last edited:
You're killing bucks and bulls at 1000 yards? With a 7-08 at 2650?
yes sir the ELDM WORKS incred well at thise velocities it's all about the bullets performance I posted this pic back in Jan it's from Sept 2020 early rifle hunt here in Colorado
2BC772BA-0E96-4696-8691-CE7908E7CC57.jpeg

Last edited:
yes sir the ELDM WORKS incred well at thise velocities it's all about the bullets performance
Read Nathan Fosters book on cartridges and their performance at certain velocities with certain bullet and weights and you'll see the science behind it

my last kill was a mule deer at 11000 ft in the maroon bells at 850 yards he didn't go ten yards DRT

but again it's all about knowing what a bullet can do at certain velocities

Last edited:
Read Nathan Fosters book on cartridges and their performance at certain velocities with certain bullet and weights and you'll see the science behind it

my last kill was a mule deer at 11000 ft in the maroon bells at 850 yards he didn't go ten yards DRT

but again it's all about knowing what a bullet can do at certain velocities
I hear ya and very nice. Killed a Coues buck at 691 with a 308 and 178 Amax. Not much expansion though. Amax and ELDM are the same bullet just a different tip, Amax is not made anymore. Per Hornady Tech they changed the name to ELDM when they came out with that new tip. I plan on running the 162 ELDM in my 7WSM that I'm building now.

I hear ya and very nice. Killed a Coues buck at 691 with a 308 and 178 Amax. Not much expansion though. Amax and ELDM are the same bullet just a different tip, Amax is not made anymore. Per Hornady Tech they changed the name to ELDM when they came out with that new tip. I plan on running the 162 ELDM in my 7WSM that I'm building now.
Huh not much expansion?? Odd that bullet is a grenade when used at certain velocities…

hence why 2600-2700 is ideal in a 162 7mm bullet

now in your wsm you'll want to get some distance before you smash an animal my zone would be 250 yards min and out to easily 1000+ yards simply because you need that bullet to slow down just a bit inside 250 it'll perform a bit poorly in a fast 7 … hence why I run it in a 7mm 08 and I'm good from 100 yards to 1000

Huh not much expansion?? Odd that bullet is a grenade when used at certain velocities…

hence why 2600-2700 is ideal in a 162 7mm bullet

now in your wsm you'll want to get some distance before you smash an animal my zone would be 250 yards min and out to easily 1000+ yards simply because you need that bullet to slow down just a bit inside 250 it'll perform a bit poorly in a fast 7 … hence why I run it in a 7mm 08 and I'm good from 100 yards to 1000
Coues bucks are tiny. 90-100 pounds. Not much there when you punch through the rib cage.

Kind of the same aspect as why Berger's work at long ranges like 700 plus. Those soft fragmentation type bullets when slowed down actually penetrate and smush up some after the slow down a lot. I know people do it also with accubonds but those bullets don't expand much at all at 1000 yards.

So I'm headed to the range tomorrow with my loads. I probably wont shoot with the magneto speed but for groups. Its very tempting though. I don't like using it attached to my barrel until I find a decent grouping load. I seen point of impact shift and some group change when using it. It may take a little longer but its generally what I do. If I could use my old shoot through chrono at the range I might do that just not sure if the range will allow that type of shooting. maybe I'll take it anyway and see.

yes sir the ELDM WORKS incred well at thise velocities it's all about the bullets performance I posted this pic back in Jan it's from Sept 2020 early rifle hunt here in ColoradoView attachment 290584
It almost isn't fair how much more energy and flat trajectory you have at 11,000' and little humidity/low barometric pressure. Correcting for sea level here in the extreme South, that same load you referenced above this post holding all else the same would only be good for about half the energy and several more feet of drop @1000 yds, yet could easily kill cleanly at beyond another 150 - 200yds out there. MAN, I wish I was in shape to climb!! 🤣

Beautiful rifle, beautiful country, beautiful buck, and beautiful shooting, my friend! I am envious!!