7mm-08 questions I need thoughts new to reloading

I can understand looking for signs of pressure, but you won't see a "node" like this IMHO.
Get it on paper, use the same seating depth, and reshoot the ladder. When taking notes on velocity, you'll see a efficiency when adding powder doesn't increase the velocity.
Accuracy wise, you note a few or even several shots landing together. Note the charge weighs, of the clustered shots. Then shoot charges in .2gr increments in groups. I use five shot groups, but I know many swear ten is the only "right" way.
You'll find by keeping notes you'll likely find your fastest accuracy load quickly.

An in between weight to try out would be the 150 ELD-X. A step up from the 140's and a bit less recoil than the 162's. That's what I'm using in my 7mm-08 at this point in time. My kids also use this gun.
This is good advice. I started using the 150gr ELD-X in my Kimber Montana 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. The 150's shoot great. I have some limited field success with it. Two shots at two elk. Both died. Right away. Five shots at five mule deer. They all died. Pronto. I haven't launched anymore at game. Small sample size, great results.

Bob

I always load cartridges to full potential. I don't leave anything on the table to come back later and blame. It's not going to hurt anything to test up to pressure.
So what do you mean by full potential?Do you mean the highest load available in a loading manual?

How about a partition bullet if you're picking on Mullie's and Elk?

I can relate to that
This is good advice. I started using the 150gr ELD-X in my Kimber Montana 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. The 150's shoot great. I have some limited field success with it. Two shots at two elk. Both died. Right away. Five shots at five mule deer. They all died. Pronto. I haven't launched anymore at game. Small sample size, great results.

Bob
Bob I couldn't agree with you more. There really is no bad way!!!

I'm not really looking to switch bullets just trying to use what I have
I'm still trying to figure out how you get 45.0 gns of 4451 into a 7mm-08 case with a 162gn ELD-X and can still shake the powder.

Attachments

• PXL_20210802_223321219.jpg
    PXL_20210802_223321219.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20210802_223555554.jpg
    PXL_20210802_223555554.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • PXL_20210802_224108069.jpg
    PXL_20210802_224108069.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
Man after all this info I must have mixed something up between rounds for which case shakes or makes noise but I'm gonna look at my notes again and load some up to get gun on paper at lower charge and work back up cuz it didn't make sense on the noise when max says compressed but I could of mixed it up on different charge that I shook and made noise I'm just glad I asked the ? To here others thoughts on this for sure thanks all. I will load later this week and shoot by end of week and I will definitely post on what I find on what happened

Well for kick I'm not to worried about she shoots a 12 gauge just fine and the reason why I am going with a heavier bullet is because I have had issues with the lighter bullets not opening or performing the way that they should so that's why I am ok with a heavier bullet that will produce some more energy then the lighter bullet. I was just curious is to if it sounded right or if hodgon website is a little low and I was more wanted to find pressure then back off to a accurate load so I know that no matter the weather if she shoots it it's all of a sudden gonna be a lot of pressure
162gr 7mm ELD Match at 2650fps is an amazingly violent and forgiving deer killer at out to 430 yards, which is as far as I've killed deer with it.

A 162 grain 7mm bullet will kill just fine at 2600 if you put it the correct place. Going faster will increase recoil. I do believe in scaling the cartridge, bullet diameter and speed to the game hunted, ie a 338 win mag is better for elk than a 6.5CM but plenty of people make both work. Hunting well and choosing good shots is more important than the rifle, cartrige, or speed.

One more thing, not being familiar with your powder scale, you may want to get a couple calibration weights or make some, to check your scales accuracy.
If it seems to be off just a little it won't matter much if you are working up to pressure signs, but you'll need to know where you're starting. If it's off .2gr the you know to start with a .2gr adjustment.

If you have access to some kind of scientific scale or you know someone who has a digital, (that's calibrated) you can weigh different hardware and mark the weight, or bullets. You'll be able to check your scale without purchasing any.