7mm-08 pistol for elk hunting?

I think the 162 in a 15 in barrel would drop the velocity to a point that I may not get the penetration or expansion need for a kill.

I asked about the 162 because I have a 7 SAW and I run the 162 in it do I have a supply of them and it would make it extra nice to be able to buy in bulk.

Sniper, you already have them so load some up and see how fast you can get them to fly, then check the ballistics to see at what range you are still at 1,800 fps and also good energy like 1,500 ft/lbs. I would try them with H4350 and RL16, you have nothing to lose.

The 7mm-08 works great with bullets from 160gr to 168gr, I dont understand why no company make ammo with them. The heaviest I've seen are the 150gr ELD-X.

The 139gr and 140gr bullets work great, I just prefer heavier for elk sized game.

Stay safe

I got that 7 SAW barrel for my AI and it is awesome. I'm getting 2830fps with the 162 eld and it is crazy accurate. I haven't bought anything else as far as the pistol is concerned. Still shooting that 7mm08 encore. Thinking about doing the LRH group hunt in 2021 though

Yeah. I'm amazed by that thing. It can be ran about 50fps faster. I think mine will speed up to around 2850 and I think I'm gonna switch over to the 180gr eldm. Clay told me you could get around 2790 with those.

That is nice, 100 fps more than the 7mm-08 would be nice to have. I've been thinking about rebarreling my 7mm-08 once the barrel is done to the AI version but the SAW sounds like a better option and brass is already available.

If you get to at least 2,700 with a 180gr would be nice. 180 VLDH would also be a good option

Thanks again for sharing Sniper

I think you were right. It might be 2690fps with the 180gr. They're packing a pretty good wallop at that velocity and the brass is available and can also be easily formed by just a pass through a die. It's a great caliber. Really easy to load for.

I think you were right. It might be 2690fps with the 180gr. They're packing a pretty good wallop at that velocity and the brass is available and can also be easily formed by just a pass through a die. It's a great caliber. Really easy to load for.

Even at 2,600 fps with a 180gr you have 1,800 fps past 700+ or more depending elevation. That sounds pretty good

I got that 7 SAW barrel for my AI and it is awesome. I'm getting 2830fps with the 162 eld and it is crazy accurate. I haven't bought anything else as far as the pistol is concerned. Still shooting that 7mm08 encore. Thinking about doing the LRH group hunt in 2021 though
If you do some shooting with the 162 eld and 7-08 pistol, let us know what the V=. Thks.

My shooting buddy in IHMSA silhouettes killed a huge 4x5 bull elk last yr @157yds with his 14'' TC Contender in 35 Remington shooting WalMart ammo. No special super duper hi tec bullet sprinkled with pixie dust either. Just plain old 200gr Remington Core Locks. Matthew's logic for bullets is like a realtor's & listings. lts all about "Location, Location, Location" ;)

My shooting buddy in IHMSA silhouettes killed a huge 4x5 bull elk last yr @157yds with his 14'' TC Contender in 35 Remington shooting WalMart ammo. No special super duper hi tec bullet sprinkled with pixie dust either. Just plain old 200gr Remington Core Locks. Matthew's logic for bullets is like a realtor's & listings. lts all about "Location, Location, Location" ;)

Remington Corelokts provably put more meat on freezers than any other bullet out there every year

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.