7mm-08 or 6.5

I enjoy buying her what she want she wants the 243 and said she would upgrade later so I told her the 7-08 would be better option from yotes to elk if we ever had the opportunity but we hunt in east TN where it's mostly wooded but some place 300 yards max

She wants a 243 I would definitely go with a 243. If you go Savage, you can always switch barrels and put on 7mm-08.

I've never had a Savage
So which model do u recommend I look at I love a Remington 700 tho that what I'm use to shooting besides a browning a bolt

my vote goes for the 7mm-08 , I have three of them .

I bought a Browning X-bolt in 7mm-08 for my girlfriend , she shoots left handed . she had always hunted before with a 243 . when her and her ex split he kept the 243 . I played on quickload and got the recoil of a 243 shooting 100 gr ammo . then I played on quickload and matched the recoil to the 7mm-08 shooting nosler 120 gr ballistic tips . now if she would decide to hunt something bigger than whitetails , I can just load the appropriate bullet . this gun will grow with her .

the load that gives roughly the same recoil as a 100 gr 243 .

7mm-08
120 gr nosler ballistic tip
H4895 39.0 gr
remington brass
cci 200 primer
2716 FPS

Thanks for the advice I showed her a round from each of the above mention and she said the 243 looked to small and told me to get her the 7-08 or the 6.5 which ever one I thought was better

Problem today is that there are almost too many good choices.
My oldest son is now 56, when he started at age 12 I bought him a 788 Rem in 243.
When my 2nd son now 47 started I bought him a 700 in 7/08. Both worked well and they both killed their first deer with those guns.
My oldest sons daughter is now 17 and weighs all of about 95 pounds. She prefers an 18# 300 Norma from a bench, and to date has killed several bucks.
Kids do tend to adapt, so don't worry much about your choice.

......It's a tough choice
She wants a 243 cause she hears other huntresses use them but I would like her to shoot one of the above......

Her rifle, her choice. Caliber make model the whole package. Picking a rifle is a personal thing. lots of quality 6mm bullets out there these days.

I agree that it should be her choice in the end, but giving her some good information is also important. In the opinion of many seasoned hunters the .243 is a bit lacking for deer-sized game. I know several hunters (including myself) that have used .243s in the past with marginal results. None of us continue to use this cartridge because there are better choices available with similar recoil.

The rifle itself might be more important than the chambering. While I prefer the 7mm-08 for deer I would still rather carry a well-fitting rifle in 6.5 CM than a 7-08 that feels awkward.

I explained to her that I could load for the 7-08 for elk if we ever had the opportunity with a heavier bullet
Told her I had 160 factory match rounds for the 6.5
Also told her the 243 is good to a certain degree with well placed shoots
But she came to the conclusion she wants the 6.5 since I already have ammo for it and Walmart here even has it in stock and her words "the red tips look so cool" I told her the 6.5 is on Remington 700 action and she said if it felt like my rifle she wants it
My rifle is Remmy 700 chambered in 280 rem

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.