7mm-08 Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tip or Accubond

NorthernHunter67

I plan to use my 7mm-08 with either Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips or Accubonds over 49gr of RL19--with muzzle velocity of average 2840fps. Range will be only 25 to 100 yards.
I'm a little concerned about Ballistic Tips fragmenting at the high velocity of close shots,what's your experience and thoughts?

Last edited:
They both work well but if you lean towards shoulder shots and your deer are on the large side I would recommend the accubonds. An extra level of penetration on real hard angled shots going or coming also. Just my experience.......

I hunt in a very similar area.

I hunted last year w/ 140 AB out of my 280. Head great accuracy and good success.

i shot a bighorn sheep at about 260 yds, pretty much broadside. Went clean through, with about a 2" exit hole. Went through back part of the offside shoulder.

sheep are not tough skinned animals, but I was happy with the performance. Take about 5-6 steps stumbling down the hillside and was done.

I have a friend that uses these on elk. Some would suggest heavier bullets, but they have served him well and he harvests a lot more game than I do.

They both work well but if you lean towards shoulder shots and your deer are on the large side I would recommend the accubonds. An extra level of penetration on real hard angled shots going or coming also. Just my experience.......

I hunt in a very similar area.
Thanks, we lived in Caribou for 10 years and enjoyed Maine and Mainers very much, only hunted geese and grouse at the time though. Didn't start Deer and Moose until retirement.

I plan to use my 7mm-08 with either Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips or Accubonds over 49gr of RL19--with muzzle velocity of average 2840fps. Range with be only 25 to 100 yards.
I'm a little concerned about Ballistic Tips fragmenting at the high velocity of close shots,what's your experience and thoughts?

Thoughts are as such, with shots in the 25-100 yard range why not just slow the bullet speed down if you are concerned? And or, just move towards another bullet if this one concerns you. The good old 139 Horn sp is wonderful if you can find it.

For this kind of ranges, most any bullet would work just fine.

We are running the 120grain ballistic tip out of the 7mm-08 with great results. It is going at 3050 fps with varget. It has performed well on deer and antelope out to +350 yards. This is the go to round for our 7mm-08.

I know you posted the question around the 140gr class bullets and for that I have used the Accubond.

We are running the 120grain ballistic tip out of the 7mm-08 with great results. It is going at 3050 fps with varget. It has performed well on deer and antelope out to +350 yards. This is the go to round for our 7mm-08.

I know you posted the question around the 140gr class bullets and for that I have used the Accubond.
I agree with the 120 gr B.Ts. I have killed antelope and deer past 500 yds with them. Good terminal performance and accurate out of my pea shooters.
The 120 grainers have the copper jacket of the 140s, so they are a pretty tough bullet. I was getting 3110 out of my handloads with Varget.
I went all 140 and 160 gr. Accubonds in all my .284 cal rifles, just for simplicity.

I agree with the 120 gr B.Ts. I have killed antelope and deer past 500 yds with them. Good terminal performance and accurate out of my pea shooters.
The 120 grainers have the copper jacket of the 140s, so they are a pretty tough bullet. I was getting 3110 out of my handloads with Varget.
I went all 140 and 160 gr. Accubonds in all my .284 cal rifles, just for simplicity.
Good to know, I have a couple of boxes of 120gr BT's but have never loaded any.

Your aiming point is provably the most important thing that will determine the right bullet for you.

If you prefer throught the shoulder shots than the accubond will work best. Although both bullets in the 7mm-08 will go through the shoulder and reach the vitals.

If you prefer behind the shoulder double lung shots the Ballistic Tip is best, the accubond won't destroy the lungs like the Ballistic Tip does therefore causing a slow kill, don't ask me how I know.

As mentioned before on the Ballistic tip you can slow it down to say 2,800 or 2,700 fps and it will work perfectly.

The 120gr BT is also a great deer bullet and it is a little tougher than 140gr version.