7mm-08 loads

Lrreloader

New to this caliber, picked up a box of hornady 154 sst when I picked gun up. Did I go to heavy? Not finding much data

New to this caliber, picked up a box of hornady 154 sst when I picked gun up. Did I go to heavy? Not finding much data
I think it depends a lot on what and where you are hunting. My son's first rifle was a 7mm-08 about 15 years ago. I've loaded a variety of bullets from 162 gr SST to 120 gr Hammers. He killed a handful of hogs with a single shot from close to about 225 yards with the SST.
Lots of good results with 140 Accubonds then switched to copper a few years ago and found a sweet spot with 140 gr TSX.
I really like the cartridge, obviously it's not a velocity screamer. I think the perfect hunting role is in a lightweight mountain rifle for closer shots or bench shooting silhouettes.
Hornady shows 154 SSTs around 2700 fps close to 2800 fps

You didn't state what the make/model of your gun is,but you should have a 9 1/2 twist or there about.The 154s should shoot fine. My Ruger has a 9 1/4 ,it will shoot 154s but is a bit finicky about what it likes.

My wife has a Ruger 77 compact. I love hunting with that gun! It doesn't weigh anything and shoulders easily when over dressed for cold weather.

If the 154gr SST shoots well in the rifle, I think the bullet itself will be an excellent choice as it has a good BC, good weight, and will expand well at the 7-08's velocity. I have a Sako A11 with a 22" barrel and a Bergara with a 25" barrel. The Bergara is setup with 131gr Hammers over Big Game and the Sako shoots 120gr NBT's over Varget and 145gr LRXs over StaBall. That's a sweet rifle you have, if it's the same one that was on here a few weeks back that was a good score. Definitely give the 154's a try.

If the 154gr SST shoots well in the rifle, I think the bullet itself will be an excellent choice as it has a good BC, good weight, and will expand well at the 7-08's velocity. I have a Sako A11 with a 22" barrel and a Bergara with a 25" barrel. The Bergara is setup with 131gr Hammers over Big Game and the Sako shoots 120gr NBT's over Varget and 145gr LRXs over StaBall. That's a sweet rifle you have, if it's the same one that was on here a few weeks back that was a good score. Definitely give the 154's a try.
Thank you

Wifes been asking about going on maine bear hunt, she has bad shoulders just want a little ummph also for whitetail

For black bear, deer and even elk, the 154gr SST will get the job done.

I have all of those to try

Depending on barrel lenght, you should be able to get between 2,700 and 2,800 fps. And you aren't going too heavy at all with the 154gr.