7mm-08 Loads with Berger 140gr VLD

WW760, H-100V and StaBall are great powders in the 7mm/08 with 140 class bullets. Used all three in 3 different rifles chambered for the 7/08 with great results.. JME

Not trying to hikack this thread, just curios. I saw that Hybrid 100 looked good for the heavier bullets on the 7mm-08 but could not find load data for 140gr bullets, where did you get this info? I wanted to try it out.

TIA

Used the 145 Speer SBT in a Hornady case with a CCI250 primer. Started at 43 grs of H-100V and worked to a safe max (in my rifle) of 49 grs. Velocity was 2992 ft/sec with .7 MOA. With StaBall and the same components I started at 45 grs and worked to a safe max of 50 grs. Vel was 3012 ft/sec and accuracy was MOA. H-100V acted like most powders leading up to a max charge, but StaBall did not. StaBall spikes real fast. Be careful working up loads. When getting close to 50 grs or over I would recommend .5 gr increases. The StaBal data is on the Hodgdon site and for the H-100V I extroplated a starting load and worked from there.. Hogdon has data for heaver bullets with this powder.

When I first got my 7mm-08, everyone said to use Varget. Well the results were less than stellar. I wound up using H380 with very good success. I use Peterson Brass, BR-2 primers and 45 gr. of H 380. Cloverleaf city!

I have way more varget than any other suggested powders, since i mainly shoot short action rounds i.e, 308,243,260,6.5cm, except for a 30-06, so i have 4064, RL15, RL16, H & IMR 4350, with a few others tossed in as well. I asked here because the Berger book is so vague, and have gotten a lot of good information, so keep the suggestions coming. Forgot to add, with the component shortage/hoarding, im saddled with REM and WIN brass. Thanks for all the great info

Well looks like I'm late posting up but do have some 7mm-08 experience to share, in every one of mine (3) powder can be an issue with taking too much case space. IMR4350 and H4350 both shoot well with 140's but everything is compressed at 45gr and above. Varget is the perfect powder for mine with 41-42gr of powder working well with the 140AB. Good Shooting!

You are going to find it hard to beat Varget, in the weight you are shooting. I have one, it loves, very accurate. My 7-08, loves cfe223. I use this with 120 grain bt, and it shoots in the .3, .4 area consistently. Dont overlook that bullet. Another great powder, is RL16, and RL17. Love that bullet, very accurate, deadly on deer, and varmint too. Easy to load for. Enjoy.

RL 17 is awesome with the 7-08.
I didn't use it with 140 but instead the 150 eldx and was 2895 FPS with 24" bbl . That's was one of my best shooting guns I've ever had. It would group 3" or less at 600 yards

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.