7mm-08 loads with 154gr SST, 139gr SST and 120gr Ballistic Tip

Dang, hadn't looked at this powder, it shows some impressive velocities compared to other powders for the 7mm-08. Thanks for sharing and good luck, hopefully you find a sweet load.
I had never looked at it either just ordered a few lbs to try learn something everyday

My wife and I we've been thinking about going lead free. But I've seen a couple of cases where the Barnes failed to expand and pencil through. I've seen them work when pushed at magnum speeds and used at close ranges but some of our shots can go up to 600 yds. So I'm a little skeptical on monos, but Hammers do make me think about it.

I want to use up the bullets we have though and then try some other ones.

I do have a box of 120gr TTSX that I'll provably try on my 7 Rem Mag and use it on coyotes and maybe javelinas, but won't try them on larger game.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
My son shot some deer with 80gr Barnes in a 25-06 @3500 fps. They zipped right through the heart lung area and deer was pretty much drt but exit wound was on the small side which is understandable from a 25 cal. If I were going to use them at lower velocities, then I would try to put the shot on the shoulder instead of heart/lung.

My son shot some deer with 80gr Barnes in a 25-06 @3500 fps. They zipped right through the heart lung area and deer was pretty much drt but exit wound was on the small side which is understandable from a 25 cal. If I were going to use them at lower velocities, then I would try to put the shot on the shoulder instead of heart/lung.

So I'll provably try them on on the 7mm-08, I'll try them for coyotes and Javelinas with a good load of the Winchester StaBALL 6.5 we were talking about yesterday, might be able to push them above 3,100 fps. It'll be fun to try them out.

Thanks again.

So I'll provably try them on on the 7mm-08, I'll try them for coyotes and Javelinas with a good load of the Winchester StaBALL 6.5 we were talking about yesterday, might be able to push them above 3,100 fps. It'll be fun to try them out.

Thanks again.
If you are thinking of shooting mono take a hard look at the 131 hammer hunter 3100 maybe doable and the accuracy will be there I have never seen a good rifle yet that would not shoot them very well

If you are thinking of shooting mono take a hard look at the 131 hammer hunter 3100 maybe doable and the accuracy will be there I have never seen a good rifle yet that would not shoot them very well

Wife and I been thinking about going lead free for hunting and keep using lead for target and practice.

If we do it will definitely be a Hammer. Like I mentioned I just have that box of 120gr TTSX that I might as well shoot but wont risk it at deer or larger game..

Thanks again

Dang, hadn't looked at this powder, it shows some impressive velocities compared to other powders for the 7mm-08. Thanks for sharing and good luck, hopefully you find a sweet load.
Got a nice blue box in the mail today, with a large L on the lid. I forgot how nice this stuff is. Stoked!

blue box, blue pill same effect?
Oh yeah, and especially on Valentine's day! That's a good one. Now, if I can get some loading done, the weather has been not cooperative. It's either raining, or the wind is howling. My Bergara wants to go out and play, and Ive got some pretty new brass to feed it, loaded with StaBall, and RL16, RL17.
The StaBall, is interesting stuff. A good friend is using it, blistering speeds, little to no pressure. Responds to charge changes, and ACCURATE!
Yup, blue pill, blue box, same effect! Life is good!

I use 145 gr Barnes LRX ahead of 46 grs of RL-17, CCI BR-2 and Lapua brass in 3 different 7mm-08 rifles. I get 2844 out of that & shoots lights out in my Fierce custom, sub MOA in Wife's Weatherby Camilla @ 2700 (20" Bbl) and just a hair bigger than MOA in a 1990's Browning A-Bolt micro-medallion @ 2720 (20" Bbl). I developed it for the custom rifle but they shot good enough in the other two so that I've been too lazy to fiddle with the other rifles. That load was very effective on Africa plains game, Texas deer & hogs and recently did a one shot DRT on a big muley at 475 yds...
Ron, how was the performance on the 145LRX? I am a stout fan of that bullet, have used it oin 7STW, and 7mm mag, with spectacular results, and insane accuracy. Would love to shoot that bullet in my new toy, but wondered about terminal performance. Let's face it, that's what it's all about when hunting. I know they will shoot. They shoot like target bullets! THANKS, 7

Changed to primer GM210M and had to stick to the 2.80" COAL, magazine won't allow much more so I left it the same and these were the results

20200216_195406.jpg

Changed to primer GM210M and had to stick to the 2.80" COAL, magazine won't allow much more so I left it the same and these were the results

View attachment 176268
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. That is an awesome group, and youve put in your time to get it there. Im doing the same now with mine, and starting to second guess my decision, on the powder, that is starting to show promise, which is the RL17. It is known to cause fire cracking in the barrel. Not sure about the RL16. I kinda think im going to play with the Varget a little. At first, I thought it wouldn't be the best choice. It's served me well over the years, in .308, all the way up to 178 grains.
That is an awesome group. Glad that you were able to get it to shoot, and stay inside your OAL limits. Great job.

Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. That is an awesome group, and youve put in your time to get it there. Im doing the same now with mine, and starting to second guess my decision, on the powder, that is starting to show promise, which is the RL17. It is known to cause fire cracking in the barrel. Not sure about the RL16. I kinda think im going to play with the Varget a little. At first, I thought it wouldn't be the best choice. It's served me well over the years, in .308, all the way up to 178 grains.
That is an awesome group. Glad that you were able to get it to shoot, and stay inside your OAL limits. Great job.

Thanks 7stw

In my 30+ year history with the 7mm-08 IMR-4064, 4985 and 4350 have always worked great for me in the different rifles and barrels. Not always get the most velocity but do get great accuracy. 4064 mostly on the 100gr to 140gr bullets, 4985 from 140gr to 150gr bullets and 4350 from 150gr and up. Haven't really been able to get Reloader powders to group well.

Thanks 7stw

In my 30+ year history with the 7mm-08 IMR-4064, 4985 and 4350 have always worked great for me in the different rifles and barrels. Not always get the most velocity but do get great accuracy. 4064 mostly on the 100gr to 140gr bullets, 4985 from 140gr to 150gr bullets and 4350 from 150gr and up. Haven't really been able to get Reloader powders to group well.
At this stage in my life, I find myself second guessing, and over thinking things, and sometimes get ahead of myself.
Then, you fall victim to the latest, and greatest, which sometimes puts you further behind, because you have no reference. I forgot the golden rule, Keep It Simple Stupid, thing and made things more complicated then they have been in the past. I knew about the fire cracking in the RL17, but forgot about it when I picked my powders. And as Murphy's law would have it, its the powder that is showing promise.
Oh well, to the books I go!
Again BRO, that's a stellar group!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.