7mm-08 Load Data for heavy for caliber bullets

I like the 7mm-08's too , I have 3 of them . I bought a 260 for my grandson . it is a very nice shooting rifle . give the 260 a try , I think you'll be happy . I have a bunch of pics of load work up targets for this rifle . it seems to shoot everything pretty good .

awhile back I messed with 168 Berger VLD's in my one 7mm-08 . I couldn't get velocity and accuracy to come together . I could get one or the other , but not both . I went to the 140 Berger VLD's and have been happy with them . I only use this rifle for groundhogs . I dug back through some pics of when I was playing around .

I shot this target at 400 yards . I couldn't see the bullet holes so I walked out to see where I was hitting . I went back , shot 2 more . couldn't put the other two in the group . I should have stopped at 3 . LOL it's still moa .

Photo006.JPG

Photo005.JPG

here is a 200 yard target shooting the 140's the three dots are from this rifle . the load on the right is 49.0 grains of RL17 , at 3080 FPS

P8140527.JPG

same 140 Berger load at 1000 . I was with a couple guys at a 1000 yard range , just us shooting . we only had a few targets , so a couple of us would shoot the same target , the first guy shot , we would tape his holes and the second guy would shoot . I shot first on this target . if I remember right I didn't shoot any sighters , I used the dope from my rangefinder . I shot a decent group , but it was high .

P1220032.JPG

Not yet, I will try them on the hunting 7mm-08. I'm really curious to see how they shoot and what speed I can get with the 24" barrel.

I will be really crunching kernels seating those long bullets. I was crunching them loading the 168gh VLDH's last week, so even more with these.

I'm going to start with:
RL17, starting at 40.5gr and up to 42.5gr
Fireformed once fired RP brass
WLR's
COAL 2.80"

I'm thinking between 2,400 to 2500 fps.

7mm-08 is an underrated cartridge. Extremely accurate. The factory ammo available cripples it IMO. It will shoot those 160-170 class for sure, not sure on the bullets above that as far as velocity and twist rate. To wake it up though, you need to reload for that cartridge. As stated above, we got 160 accubonds 2664 FPS out of H4350 in a 22" barrel.
How many grains of powder were you using making this load