7mm-08 Load Data for heavy for caliber bullets

Reloaders need to study what the bullet makers use for test pressure barrels ,Nosler is a prime example using a 26 inch barrel,this is what delivers the speed ,when the 708 first appeared it was with a 24 inch barrel,then Remington shortened it to 22,then 20 inch's ,why you ask just to fit more customer demands,I'm Very much Pro-Remington so don't think it's a jab, Highpowder shooters long ago learned the benefit of longer barrels,my 708 sports a Lilja 27 inch # 3 conture CM ,1/9 twist barrel ,and no I've not played with the 175 as yet ,but she dots on the 150's to the 168 's Very nicely , Cheers!!!🤔

I shoot High Power Silly Wets with a Remington BDL Varmit in 7-08. Went to 168 SMKs over 48gr Reloder 26 for the rams at 500 meters for knock down power. About 2650 fps. Using Starline cases.

Agreed. My Silhouette 7mm-08 is also a Rem 700 Varmint with the 26", need longer barrel to get those extra fps that will knock down the Rams at 500m. Whether is a 150gr or a 168gr bullet, the longer the barrel the better it works. Reason why my hunting 7mm-08's have a 24", it makes a difference.

@highbrow I have not tried RL26 on the 7mm-08 for the Rams, you got me thinking now. This weekend I am trying out a load with the 160gr TMK and IMR-4451. Ran out of 150gr MK's and could not find them but came across some 160gr TMK.

Hodgdons load data has a Nosler 175 Partition going 2669 fps using Staball 6.5 @ 2.800" COAL. I keep wondering if seated out how close would the 7-08 with 180 class bullets get to 7 SAW loads.

Isn't the 708 rated for 60,thousand psi , I'm sure it would push those sleek 180 's easier,& I'm sure my 1-9 twist would stabilize them 🤔😆🍻,great idea xsn10s !!!

Agreed. My Silhouette 7mm-08 is also a Rem 700 Varmint with the 26", need longer barrel to get those extra fps that will knock down the Rams at 500m. Whether is a 150gr or a 168gr bullet, the longer the barrel the better it works. Reason why my hunting 7mm-08's have a 24", it makes a difference.

@highbrow I have not tried RL26 on the 7mm-08 for the Rams, you got me thinking now. This weekend I am trying out a load with the 160gr TMK and IMR-4451. Ran out of 150gr MK's and could not find them but came across some 160gr TMK.
I went higher than 48 gr but accuracy decreased. Not sure you can get over pressure with RL 26 in the 7-08.

Isn't the 708 rated for 60,thousand psi , I'm sure it would push those sleek 180 's easier,& I'm sure my 1-9 twist would stabilize them 🤔😆🍻,great idea xsn10s !!!

I went higher than 48 gr but accuracy decreased. Not sure you can get over pressure with RL 26 in the 7-08.

61,000 psi exactly. Looking at the Sierra app with the 180gr MK using RL17, RL19 and Hunter you can get from 2,500 to 2,550 fps with a 24"; so maybe 2,600 with a 26" or longer. I have RL17 and 180gr VLD's, tempted and curious.

For Silhouette I prefer 150gr to 168gr bullets but for steel at longer ranges 180gr might be fun. No experience with the 7 SAW so I can't help there

RL26 is tempting but I've had pressure spikes in the summer before.

You're all a bad influence, in a good way of course. Got my mind going here LOL.

I just keep going back to kicking around the idea of a 7mm 180 ELDM going 2600 fps. I believe Litz's adjust BC is G7 .360. Some say faster than 2600 fps impact is not so good with it. But launched out of a 7-08 at 2600 fps would be some pretty elk medicine IMHO.

61,000 psi exactly. Looking at the Sierra app with the 180gr MK using RL17, RL19 and Hunter you can get from 2,500 to 2,550 fps with a 24"; so maybe 2,600 with a 26" or longer. I have RL17 and 180gr VLD's, tempted and curious.
Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Do It GIF

I just keep going back to kicking around the idea of a 7mm 180 ELDM going 2600 fps. I believe Litz's adjust BC is G7 .360. Some say faster than 2600 fps impact is not so good with it. But launched out of a 7-08 at 2600 fps would be some pretty elk medicine IMHO.

Or 180gr VLDH, good out to 600 yds or more depending elevation, and further with the AI or SAW version? Deer out to 800 yds?

DOING IT! Couldn't live with myself not trying it LOL

Or 180gr VLDH, good out to 600 yds or more depending elevation, and further with the AI or SAW version? Deer out to 800 yds?

DOING IT! Couldn't live with myself not trying it LOL
I know huh. Hard to decide between a straight 7-08, 7 SAW, or 7-08 AI. I'm pretty excited to see what you do. Next month or so I'll get my 260 AI back. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a 7 something on that action too. Or a straight 280 Rem on my JC Higins FN Belgium Mauser action. This is awful lol.

I've never had any toRL/26 to play with Or any 180'salso , my 708 juice has been h4350 in the W-w-case,& wlrp. 168's either Sierra or Berger VLd's cronograph at 2780 , my col is 2.800 max because my action is a BBR, with a magazine. BBR = Browning Boltaction Rifle =pre A-Bolt production. Happy to see other long barrel shooters having fun,your enablers also ,Cheers & thks 👍😉😎.

My wife and I both own a Remington 700's SPS Buckmasters for hunting, both 7mm-08 with a 24". Both restricted to a Max 2.83" although I run most bullets to 2.80", except the 162gr Amax in hers at 2.83", it barely fits in the magazine but it shoots 0.2" cloverleafs with RL16. It be nice if the came with a longer magazine though.

H4350, RL16 and RL17 are now my go to powders in this cartridge. Provably give Staball a try, I hear lots getting good velocities with it.

I've though about getting a 280 Rem again but then I think again, what for? The 7mm-08 already does it.

Now a 280AI sounds nice and I've been also pondering the idea of a 260 Rem. There just isn't enough time for all this LOL.

Happy shooting all!

Luis

Well I finally got back out for some longer range testing but before I did this, last week I pulled the stock off and replaced the trigger. Its a trigger tech special set to 1 pound and its a sweet trigger. I also made sure my scope was exactly level with the gun so I had to do some rezeroing. After getting it zeroed on paper I then started scouring the horizon for something a lot father to shoot. The only thing I found was a outcropping of rocks at 1305 yards. It was a little long in the teeth for what I was searching for but I set up and checked my dope on shooter and Applied Blist app to compare the 2. Both were right at 47MOA up and with the wind it was 3.7 hold to the left but it was gusting and calming back down. Tried to dial that much in my scope but don't have it. I was able to dial 38 MOA in the scope and then hold 9 MOA on the reticle. Scope was zoomed up to 18 power and that seem to be where the hold overs are correct. I tried holding for the 4 MOA of wind but I was guessing since I don't have the tree type reticle. After 2 shots that hit about 15 to 18 inches to the right I realized that I should just dial the windage. Rechecked the app and where ever the data comes from it had changed to 2MOA. So I backed it off to 2 and started watching the thermals or mirage. They were going completely sidways and then they would let up and boil at about 2 o'clock . I waited and watched for a few minutes and took a shot when I seen the thermal boiling at the 2 o'clock position. It was so sweet to see impact where I was aiming at I took a couple more shots but had to wait till the wind would die off on each shot. So in all I put 3 shots within in about a 4 to 5 inch group and 3 off over at 17 to 18 inches away. I was also able to try out 2 168 LRAB that I have also developed a load for. Had to change the dope a little bit on the LRAB compared to the ELDX but I think this finishes up my load development. And to make things better today I found some 168 VLD to put on standby for later on. The Berger 168 have the shortest bearing surface out of all of these so I might be able to gain a little speed but thats for later on much later on.

Well I finally got back out for some longer range testing but before I did this, last week I pulled the stock off and replaced the trigger. Its a trigger tech special set to 1 pound and its a sweet trigger. I also made sure my scope was exactly level with the gun so I had to do some rezeroing. After getting it zeroed on paper I then started scouring the horizon for something a lot father to shoot. The only thing I found was a outcropping of rocks at 1305 yards. It was a little long in the teeth for what I was searching for but I set up and checked my dope on shooter and Applied Blist app to compare the 2. Both were right at 47MOA up and with the wind it was 3.7 hold to the left but it was gusting and calming back down. Tried to dial that much in my scope but don't have it. I was able to dial 38 MOA in the scope and then hold 9 MOA on the reticle. Scope was zoomed up to 18 power and that seem to be where the hold overs are correct. I tried holding for the 4 MOA of wind but I was guessing since I don't have the tree type reticle. After 2 shots that hit about 15 to 18 inches to the right I realized that I should just dial the windage. Rechecked the app and where ever the data comes from it had changed to 2MOA. So I backed it off to 2 and started watching the thermals or mirage. They were going completely sidways and then they would let up and boil at about 2 o'clock . I waited and watched for a few minutes and took a shot when I seen the thermal boiling at the 2 o'clock position. It was so sweet to see impact where I was aiming at I took a couple more shots but had to wait till the wind would die off on each shot. So in all I put 3 shots within in about a 4 to 5 inch group and 3 off over at 17 to 18 inches away. I was also able to try out 2 168 LRAB that I have also developed a load for. Had to change the dope a little bit on the LRAB compared to the ELDX but I think this finishes up my load development. And to make things better today I found some 168 VLD to put on standby for later on. The Berger 168 have the shortest bearing surface out of all of these so I might be able to gain a little speed but thats for later on much later on.

Love the feeling when all that hard work pays off. Congrats!

My wife and I both own a Remington 700's SPS Buckmasters for hunting, both 7mm-08 with a 24". Both restricted to a Max 2.83" although I run most bullets to 2.80", except the 162gr Amax in hers at 2.83", it barely fits in the magazine but it shoots 0.2" cloverleafs with RL16. It be nice if the came with a longer magazine though.

H4350, RL16 and RL17 are now my go to powders in this cartridge. Provably give Staball a try, I hear lots getting good velocities with it.

I've though about getting a 280 Rem again but then I think again, what for? The 7mm-08 already does it.

Now a 280AI sounds nice and I've been also pondering the idea of a 260 Rem. There just isn't enough time for all this LOL.

Happy shooting all!

Luis
I have a 260 on its way next week! Next will be a 7-08 just because