7mm-08 Hammer Hunter Load Development

DoneNOut

Got the powders posted in the picture.

Thinking 120gr and 131gr Hammer hunters. I plan to crimp into one of the grooves on the bullet. WLR primers.

Tell me about the neck tension required for these? I always thought a great degree of tension caused runout.

Attachments

• 2C4FDB5A-45BA-4DE3-938F-F2A45F6D4B9F.jpeg
    2C4FDB5A-45BA-4DE3-938F-F2A45F6D4B9F.jpeg
    872.1 KB · Views: 226
Tell me about the neck tension required for these? I always thought a great degree of tension caused runout.
Try them tight, like FL without an expander tight. Use a mandrel if you have them to get to 0.004-0.005", but that's tighter than what my Hornady FL dies could get thinner-necked factory R&P and Hornady brass down to. I mic'ed neck thickness and checked against loaded round diameter.

Runout shouldn't matter, if you have to use a mandrel to get up to 0.004" the mandrel should largely straighten in out. Chamfer with a 28* VLD tool, and if it's less than 0.003"runout after seating then just shoot them. Unless you're shooting past 600 yards I would say you won't see the runout on paper.

Alpha makes 7mm-08 brass if you want something higher end. In stock now even:

Regardless how small you size you necks you will end up with appx .002-.003 interference fit. What happens is the bullet acts as an expander and opens up the case neck , only this can induce bad run-out and can damage to the bullet. If you are looking for high start pressure ( bullet release) I would suggest a Lee factory crimp die . @ButterBean is your man for info and set-up on this die.

Last edited:

Thinking 120gr and 131gr Hammer hunters. I plan to crimp into one of the grooves on the bullet. WLR primers.

It does not just pull your expander ball and you will be fine

Bingo...........R17 shoots balls out in my little 788/carbine 7/08. It shoots great with the 110's to the 175's!

Varget will be the best out of that lot but it will be too slow 8208XBR or CFE223 will be your Huckleberry's

Last edited:

Recent Posts