7mm-08 from 308 brass

SkipB

Has anyone ever had any problems making 7mm-08 from 308 brass, my Remington 700 will not chamber a 7mm-08 using 308 brass. It will chamber 7mm-08 cases fine but not 7mm-08 made from 308 cases

Been there done that.
308 brass, what brand, or is it 7.62 LC?
  1. You need to neck turn. Resizing the neck from 308 to 284 results in a longer, thicker neck. You need to turn it to 13 thou web thickness.
  2. Recommend you get a 7-08 case gauge checker. Worth every penny.

Been there done that.
308 brass, what brand, or is it 7.62 LC?
  1. You need to neck turn. Resizing the neck from 308 to 284 results in a longer, thicker neck. You need to turn it to 13 thou web thickness.
  2. Recommend you get a 7-08 case gauge checker. Worth every penny.
This is what I've seen when I've researched it as well, the necks have to be turned.

Thanks guys thats what I figured I have about 50 7mm-08 cases I`ll just get more and not even fool with the 308`s anymore

It's a lot simpler to run 260 Rem brass through a full length 7mm-08 die and ready to load n shoot with no neck turning, Optics Planet has Lapua 260 Rem brass in stock

I've done a bunch of 308 Lapua brass down to 7-08. Single-pass through a Redding FL sizing die. The brass works for me in factory bbls from Kimber, Remington x4, Winchester, and Weatherby. I don't size the whole neck, just enough to set a false-shoulder and chamber into the intended bbl. This sets the case-head firmly upon the bolt-face.

Thanks guys thats what I figured I have about 50 7mm-08 cases I`ll just get more and not even fool with the 308`s anymore
I have done thousands of LC brass for several of my 7-08's. One thing to consider is if you use an RCBS inside neck reamer its sizes the die and then you ream the inside of the neck and you have very concentric brass ...at least in the neck region. as you mentioned though Time is money and if you don't consider Lake City brass good or if you don't have hundreds00s of rounds of it it may not be worth your time.

It's a lot simpler to run 260 Rem brass through a full length 7mm-08 die and ready to load n shoot with no neck turning, Optics Planet has Lapua 260 Rem brass in stock

What parts or tools required?

I've got a bunch of .260 brass & I've come across a light weight 7mm-08 truck gun.

As above, need to watch out for neck thickness when sizing 308 brass. Your chamber and the brass used will decide if you need to turn necks or not.

You need to check your neck thickness but I have resized -06 to 270 with no problems whatsoever.

Interesting. I ran into a massive pile of clean LC brass, and I have a .308 match chamber in my PWS ar10. I hadn't considered that becoming an issue. Anyone ever travel down that path?