7mm-08 for Varmints ???

I love my 7-08's for deer and similar but for sustained varmint shooting they have way too much kick, even with the lightest bullets available. Not that they hurt to shoot, they just jump too much.
I agree on the muzzle jump, especially on lighter guns. My 7mm-08 deer rifle I put together has a med contour 20" barrel and it likes to jump. Just put a 7mm-08 varmint rifle together with a savage heavy laminated varmint stock and a 26" varmint contour criterion bbl. Added weight and longer barrel makes a lot of difference and its pleasant to shoot, still needs a brake or can to stay on target for hit.

I've killed 6 groundhogs with mine so far this year. Shooting some OLD Speer 120gr hps I got from a bench rest shooter who is long dead now. Biggest problem with them is finding a varmint bullet.

The 7mm-08 is just fine, especially if reloading your own. The item I ask, are we talking the occasional coyote or groundhog back East or 250 rounds a day in a western dogtown?

With the high round prairie dogging, I'd want a more dedicated, smaller round. Other than that, there are benefits to using the one rifle.

The 7mm-08 is just fine, especially if reloading your own. The item I ask, are we talking the occasional coyote or groundhog back East or 250 rounds a day in a western dogtown?

With the high round prairie dogging, I'd want a more dedicated, smaller round. Other than that, there are benefits to using the one rifle.
In my situation, yes, occasional,fairly regular here recently though. ( it might become my new off season addiction), which would warrant a new APPROPRIATE varmint rifle. That will be my reasoning to the wifey!🤣
It's great keeping your skills sharpened on your deer rifle, but I agree, long term , extended shooting would require a new iron!
Oh boy, hmmmmm!

If you can find any of the 120 Horn HP that'll be your huckleberry for accuracy
Dogz, I have heard that from others as well. I'm playing with some 100 Sierra hp,preliminary loafs were good. Especially with Varget, imagine that. Gonna wring out a load next weekend hopefully
Recently, my creed with 123ELD match has been the terror.
If the sierra won't act right, I'll pick up some Hornady hp. They've came a long way with their bullets!

Totally understand, the 100 Sie HP will perk well, as would the TNT. The 120's will toss the chucks around a bit more, I kind of like it when they play gymnist ; 0

I shoot the 120 VMax for occasional rock chucks and they are 'violent' ! Started out at 3000-3050 they are surprising; have shot steel to 600 and reasonably flat shooting and .350 BC seems to hold up to actual drops.

100gr Sierra HPs has been death on woodchucks and coyotes in this neck of the woods. My gun likes H414 but shoots most anything 3/4" or less.

I dont have a 7mm/08 yet. I picked up brass when I see it. I shoot the 120gr v max out of my 280. I have killed several deer with that bullet. During doe season i used it. It blows a good size hole in the neck or shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.