7mm-08 for elk

Wow, 8 pages of responses and advice.
And the first response seems to assume that the OP's niece wants to shoot to 1000yds, or can, or even needs too.

Yes the 150 eldx will kill elk, if it shoots good in the rifle it should be fine.

My neice has her first Bull ELK tag in Nevada and shoots a 7mm-08. The only factory ammo they could find was the Hornady 150 ELD-X I offered to reload for them and would like feedback from shooters who have used the 7mm-08 for Elk. What Bullet and Powder............ Ive used the 708 in the past but used the 120 X
My daughter has shot several elk with her 7-08 running the 131g Hammer Hunter at ~3100 fps with Varget. This is a great combo in the 7-08.

That's .270 Win territory but with a Superior Bullet than most use for elk (in the .270) every year! :) I dare say that load is as effective ( if it can be quantified, ha) as a 140 going 2800 (.275 Rigby/7x57) which has killed wads of elk sized game!

My neice has her first Bull ELK tag in Nevada and shoots a 7mm-08. The only factory ammo they could find was the Hornady 150 ELD-X I offered to reload for them and would like feedback from shooters who have used the 7mm-08 for Elk. What Bullet and Powder............ Ive used the 708 in the past but used the 120 X

Myself and my kids have killed a couple dozen animals with The various Barnes 120 gr X bullets in a 280. Including a dozen elk or so. They have worked phenomenal.

We switched to the 139 & 145 LRX for the higher BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts