7mm-08 for elk

I wouldn't use a match bullet for hunting it can have disastrous results.
I use the 150 gr. Eld x. But in a 7 mag. I have had great luck with this bullet they never go more than 20 yards. But I have not shot one with it at much over 300 yards
Disastrous results come from incorrect shot placement much more so then bullet construction on an animal such as an Elk. Know your gun and it's (and your) ability and you'll harvest an Elk Everytime with an ELD-M.

It's his niece...be realistic. 1% of hunters would be able to make a kill on 840 yards. So your comment is completely irrelevant.
I think you probably should have put "IMO" 1% of hunters would be able to make that kill at 840 yards. Since you did not it's only your Opinion, State your source of that information that only 1% of hunters could make that shot.

I think you probably should have put "IMO" 1% of hunters would be able to make that kill at 840 yards. Since you did not it's only your Opinion, State your source of that information that only 1% of hunters could make that shot.

lots can go wrong. And a shot can be off a bit. I would prefer a bullet that is designed to kill not shoot steel or paper. Terminal performance is worth a lot and you simply won't get as good of performance in this aspect, with a match bullet. Take a hunting bullet and put it in the same location as the match and you will get a quicker more humane kill. After all we owe it to the game we shoot.

lots can go wrong. And a shot can be off a bit. I would prefer a bullet that is designed to kill not shoot steel or paper. Terminal performance is worth a lot and you simply won't get as good of performance in this aspect, with a match bullet. Take a hunting bullet and put it in the same location as the match and you will get a quicker more humane kill. After all we owe it to the game we shoot.
I don't blame hunters for not liking match bullets to harvest game. I use to be one. Then after shooting hundreds of ground hogs with match bullets from my deer rifles at 1000-1400 yards and seeing how well they perform on them (bullet performance) I decided to give them a try on coyotes. Same result. Next were deer. From 300-800 on deer they were deadly. Shot placement being #1 for any bullet is most important. Bad shot placement won't allow a recovered animal any better with a hunting bullet than a match bullet. I made my decision based on my experiences. I'm not trying to talk anyone into that same move but also do not prefer that others talk people out of using match bullets. To each there own. I support clean ethical harvesting of animals. That's what I practice and that's what I demand.

"Take a hunting bullet and put it in the same location as the match and you will get a quicker more humane kill" I really hate blanket statements. Shoot a critter in the lungs at 600 yds with a barnes and an 162 gr eld and see which one dies faster.I have personally shot critters in the lungs with a barnes ttsx and seen them run hundreds of yards. With the eld it's bang flop. Look I'm an old school nosler guy. Partitions, ballistic tips. The old ballistic tips had a bad reputation for blowing up on hard bone contact. So Nosler thickened the jacket design. Before they made the change I never had a deer take a step shot with an 06 and 150 gr BT. Now they penetrate better but the DRT numbers went way down. For a guy that hunts close to property lines that can be important. Some of our swamps and thickets down south make finding critters tuff. Really the eldx is the eldm with a slightly thicker jacket at the base and an interlock ring. It will retain more of it's weight which can be a plus up close or a limiting factor down range. Truth is at longer distances the eldm actually has better terminal performance.

"Take a hunting bullet and put it in the same location as the match and you will get a quicker more humane kill" I really hate blanket statements. Shoot a critter in the lungs at 600 yds with a barnes and an 162 gr eld and see which one dies faster.I have personally shot critters in the lungs with a barnes ttsx and seen them run hundreds of yards. With the eld it's bang flop. Look I'm an old school nosler guy. Partitions, ballistic tips. The old ballistic tips had a bad reputation for blowing up on hard bone contact. So Nosler thickened the jacket design. Before they made the change I never had a deer take a step shot with an 06 and 150 gr BT. Now they penetrate better but the DRT numbers went way down. For a guy that hunts close to property lines that can be important. Some of our swamps and thickets down south make finding critters tuff. Really the eldx is the eldm with a slightly thicker jacket at the base and an interlock ring. It will retain more of it's weight which can be a plus up close or a limiting factor down range. Truth is at longer distances the eldm actually has better terminal performance.
No two animals react the same. I've recovered deer shot(not by me)with Nosler Partitions hit behind the shoulder after 100 yards. I've helped recover same location hits that only went 25 or less. Is it the bullet ? If the same scenario occured with a match bullet in your opinion, it would have been because it was a match bullet. Same occurs in archery harvested deer. Some run 400 yards after lungs are shot thru. Others 40 yards. No two animals die the same

I typically just prefer to detour these conversations or threads on match bullets for hunting. It almost always ends up with an ugly ending. Kinda like religion and politics. We all have our own opinions and experiences. Let's keep them there unless guys ask for them.

I am sorry, and which Olympics did you get your medal, hahahaahaha

I am sorry, and which Olympics did you get your medal, hahahaahaha
State your source. Your quick to run down other hunters for their (in your opinion) lack of shooting ability. State where that 1% "Fact" comes from. I'm guessing just doing what you do best, bashing on forums. There's enough idiots doing that. Now that your exposed, go somewhere else and belittle people. Kids should be off limits in your goal to belittle LR shooters.

I have always found it curious that the same people who will praise the deadly effectiveness of their said "magnum"(choose your caliber) at well beyond 1,000+yds, refuse to accept that same caliber/bullet hitting the same game animal 200, 300 or 400yds shorter and with similar or more velocity, but claim it will not work. (??)

Just one general compassion of the 7mmRM with Hornady 162ELDM MV @ 3,000fps vs the 7-08 MV @ 2,750fps. Sighting altitude is a Western altitude of 7,000'
View attachment 215759

7-08 Hornady 162ELDM @ 2,750fps
View attachment 215758

Notice the 7-08 vel and energy @ 1,000yds is very similar to the 7mmRM @ 1,200yds, and the same for the 800/1,000 yds.

Many are just "regurgitating" what they have heard and have zero practical knowledge. Like I said the bullet does not lie and these two charts highlight that - I have altitude on my side as well and is why I posted that critical information- RemV was 1937 fps and RemE was 1400ish ft lbs according my Kestrel 5700 Elite but if you can't set your ego aside or open your mind you'll fall victim to being domineering and demand that everyone listen to you...sorta like how some probably talk to their kids and wives lol...

Another point is many think caliber only and do not associate bullet weight or bullet type. Hence why I would not smash stuff past 400 yards with a 140 controlled expansion bullet in the 7mm08 - but the 162 and it's frangible properties changes everything.

Worse yet they'll drive the 162 at magnum velocities and shoot close range and say..."see that bullet sucks" and the circle repeats itself. Why because they do not understand ballistics and/or how to apply it and most certain do not shoot enough to make those kind of shots so they think no one else can either.

same guys wonder why their W2 looks so much different than the other guy... LMAO

Last edited:
Gills not true - at longer distances the traditional bullet needs more impact pressure to perform and the Match bullets construction allows slower velocities ie longer distances meaning less energy at the target to expand and in the case of the ELDM it will punch a large hole going in and violently fragment inside ....dumping all the energy inside the animal. I would never consider taking animals at these ranges with a controlled expansion bullet all you would get is mediocre result at best and dismal at worst.

but I will say it again .... we are in long range forum talking about long range kills. So why do some insist on saying the contrary.... "well if you miss at that range or a lot can go wrong etc." If you are a 300 yd or less shooter great but is there not another forum for you to find allies that will agree with you. I do not go over to 24 hr camp fire and try disproving the guys with 30-30's and 35 Whelens.... so I am always curious why guys come here and spend all their time telling me I am wrong but have zero knowledge of my background or how much I shoot etc and how many animals I have killed Humanely at distances they seem to think impossible and cover their *** by saying we owe it to the animal .....

I am confident that my long range "one shot" kills are over for the animal much quicker than many 150 yard kills with multiple shots on the animal by many of the so called controlled expansion bullets...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.