7mm-08 for elk

I don't understand how a bullet could break a bone in the back leg, go through the chest and exit thru the opposite back leg?

Well, I once had one of our hunters tell us the deer he shot was behind a tree and he had to bend the bullet around it to make the shot. Really. So I guess if you have the right juju it can be done.

Magic bullet like the one that got Kennedy?

Warbird2006...."please read what I stated" I was clear if the ELDM is moving at moderate velocities 2600-2700+ fps it is capable of point blank range kills and out to distances most can't fathom. Please don't be the guy who says hey you didn't listen to the OP - I most certainly did. btw my 17 yr old daughter would take offense to your prima donna statement of .... "its his niece your comment is irrelevant" since she and her girlfriends are totally capable of baking a cake or crushing a bull from 300 or 1200 yards at will. In closing the ELDM is capable of killing up to Elk size game from point blank 100 yards out to 1100 AS LONG AS it is not moving too fast out of the Muzzle. example 2600- 2700 fps is all that bullet needs even for "NIECES" < my daughter wanted me to add that part lol
Ok, whatever, another Olympic winner, the internet is full of those...

Ok, whatever, another Olympic winner, the internet is full of those...

warbird2006 > I gave accurate info based on experience in the scope of the OP's question and you revert to name calling? good lord man grow up.

Your response is revealing however; you just confirmed for any women reading - that you believe their place is in the kitchen or they are only capable of making hits a close range. The girls in my family would laugh you right off the range!!

If you do have a wife and daughter(s) I feel for them buddy.

I guess all I can say about the 7mm 08 with the right bullet and bullet weight - used in the right manner it can kill HUMANELY a lot further then given credit. I proved that to myself several times including in my post titled 162 ELDM performance in a separate thread a few days ago.

But don't take my word for it - go out and make some kills before saying it's not worthy. Also if you don't want to take the time to do your own killing. Read Nathan Fosters' book "the practical guide to long range cartridges" Nathan has done extensive in the field research and covers numerous calibers in that book including the 7mm08. I am also willing to argue that his kill per caliber is much higher than most any of us on the web and should be regarding as a good base line of knowledge.

Once I understood what his practical application revealed it was apparent to me that the 7mm08 with the right bullet was very much under rated and if you can set your ego aside you might learn something and find out you do not need a 28 Nosler or 7mm STW especially if you can't handle the recoil and STILL be able to kill HUMANELY at long ranges. I did and I still shoot a 338 Edge BUT will not hesitate based on my results to use the 7mm08 with 162 ELDM out to 1000 YES that is right 1000 yards....the bullet doesn't lie folks.

I guess all I can say about the 7mm 08 with the right bullet and bullet weight - used in the right manner it can kill HUMANELY a lot further then given credit. I proved that to myself several times including in my post titled 162 ELDM performance in a separate thread a few days ago.

But don't take my word for it - go out and make some kills before saying it's not worthy. Also if you don't want to take the time to do your own killing. Read Nathan Fosters' book "the practical guide to long range cartridges" Nathan has done extensive in the field research and covers numerous calibers in that book including the 7mm08. I am also willing to argue that his kill per caliber is much higher than most any of us on the web and should be regarding as a good base line of knowledge.

Once I understood what his practical application revealed it was apparent to me that the 7mm08 with the right bullet was very much under rated and if you can set your ego aside you might learn something and find out you do not need a 28 Nosler or 7mm STW especially if you can't handle the recoil and STILL be able to kill HUMANELY at long ranges. I did and I still shoot a 338 Edge BUT will not hesitate based on my results to use the 7mm08 with 162 ELDM out to 1000 YES that is right 1000 yards....the bullet doesn't lie folks.

I have always found it curious that the same people who will praise the deadly effectiveness of their said "magnum"(choose your caliber) at well beyond 1,000+yds, refuse to accept that same caliber/bullet hitting the same game animal 200, 300 or 400yds shorter and with similar or more velocity, but claim it will not work. (??)

Just one general compassion of the 7mmRM with Hornady 162ELDM MV @ 3,000fps vs the 7-08 MV @ 2,750fps. Sighting altitude is a Western altitude of 7,000'
1600981226277.png

7-08 Hornady 162ELDM @ 2,750fps
1600981111000.png

Notice the 7-08 vel and energy @ 1,000yds is very similar to the 7mmRM @ 1,200yds, and the same for the 800/1,000 yds.

Last edited:
308 vs 30/06, 280 ai vs 7mm/08 , all you really give up is a 100-150 yards at the far end of their range. My only warning is watch building a really light 308 , sticking a full throttle 180 grain load in it and handing it to a kid! I had a cute little model 7 in 308. 20 inch pencil thin barrel. It could bust your butt if you weren't ready for it.

Last edited:
I guess no one here shoots bergers since target bullets shouldnt be used on game. Here is an excerpt from Nathan Fosters ballistic studies website. If you've never been to his site I highly recommend it. Nathan has complied real world data on killing of game with all manners of bullets and provides some good insight.

"The best of the Hornady range is the highly frangible 162 grain A-Max. In fact, this may well be the best all-round projectile ever produced for the 7x57 and 7mm08 powered cartridges. The A-Max is noticeably and measurably faster killing than other bullet styles at close and also long ranges. Penetration is surprisingly good, regardless of weight lost due to its thin jacket and on light framed deer, this projectile has the ability to reach vitals with tail on shots, not that the A-Max is best utilized in this way. The key to outstanding all-round performance with the 162 grain A-Max is mild muzzle velocities no greater than 2700fps. From the lower muzzle velocity of 2600fps, the A-Max produces wide, fast bleeding wounds out to 300yards (2200fps) with a slight reduction in wounding between 300 and 475 yards (2000fps). The A-max continues to excel below 2000fps in the absence of bone strikes. This projectile requires very little resistance to initiate expansion and for this reason, is a more ethical killer at longer ranges approaching where wind factors make exact shot placement more difficult"

Fyi the 140 amax or eldm has the same reputation in 6.5 caliber.

That being said the 150 gr eldx should work fine. It does have a thicker jacket and will not expand well at longer ranges compared to the eldm.

I guess no one here shoots bergers since target bullets shouldnt be used on game. Here is an excerpt from Nathan Fosters ballistic studies website. If you've never been to his site I highly recommend it. Nathan has complied real world data on killing of game with all manners of bullets and provides some good insight.
<snip>
Fyi the 140 amax or eldm has the same reputation in 6.5 caliber.

<snip>

My 260AI loves the 140 in AMAX and ELDM, and just as stated, it expands well at extended ranges on deer and similar sized game. Even on marmots.

Notice the 7-08 vel and energy @ 1,000yds is very similar to the 7mmRM @ 1,200yds, and the same for the 800/1,000 yds.

Dead on accurate! The hunter and gun writer John Barsness has often posted that if you think of them in distance, the 280 at 100 yards equals the 7mm08 at 0. And the 7mm Rem Mag is 100 yards over the 280.

After 38 years of guiding and outfitting elk hunters in western Colorado I long ago came to this same conclusion. Magnums extend our range by a few to several hundred yards but the capability of cartridges like our subject 7-08 greatly exceed the ability of probably over 90% of hunters. Now we are a pretty dedicated and skilled bunch of marksmen and women here, but so often I see claims that the 7-08, etc., are marginal at best and only suited to a few hundred yard. Keeping in line with this I see many posts claiming you must have a magnum to even consider hunting elk. I disagree. One needs to shoot well and not take the questionable shots. My .300, 338, and .358 magnums would shoot through an elk end to end with the right bullets, but I was taught not to take those shots. They make a terrible mess of an animal and ruin too much meat. I've gone back to "standard" cartridges like the .284 and 7-08 I currently hunt with. When I was a kid we were all country boys around here and most used 30-30, .300 Savage, and 270's. A few used '06's and a very few used magnums, mostly the city guys that came out and most of them couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a hand full of rice. I still love my magnums but for cross canyon shots and long range marmots. No real need for magnums until you're getting past 5-600 yards. This is just my opinion and we will all shoot whatever we want, even if it's way more than is needed. Whew I hate long windy posts!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.