7mm-08 for elk

If the rifle likes the 162s then use them. If it wants to shoot 150s then look for Scirocco 150s. 7-08 on elk, even with factory 140's, you're good to whatever range your niece can reliably put the round in the kill zone.

Good luck and hope to see pictures from the hunt!

My neice has her first Bull ELK tag in Nevada and shoots a 7mm-08. The only factory ammo they could find was the Hornady 150 ELD-X I offered to reload for them and would like feedback from shooters who have used the 7mm-08 for Elk. What Bullet and Powder............ Ive used the 708 in the past but used the 120 X

Are they local to you where you can spend time doing load development for your Niece's rifle? If they are not, just let them shoot the factory Hornady if she and her rifle shoots it well. The reason I say stick with factory if she isn't local, is your niece needs to be at the range practicing as much as possible.

Here's a video I took shooting a cow around 300 yards with a 20" barrel 7mm08 . Since it's a slow round, your best bet will be heavy and soft bullet like a 162 eldm or 160 tmk. This video is the tmk and it killed a bull at 495 as well, not on camera but one shot to the lungs and dead

A 139gr Interbond/140gr Accubond will get it done, however a heavier bullet will work better, say 162gr ELD/AMax. A 168gr Berger or 165gr Tipped GK will also get it done.

The heavier bullets will reach further, and will have more energy whether she shoots a 150yds or 500 yds

Hope this helps and stay safe

I'm a little concerned that folks are recommending the eld-m. Years ago I spoke with a Hornady technician and he told me never to use Hornady match bullets on game. They're not designed for that purpose. Yes they'll work with a perfect shot but perfect shots in the field at longer ranges are hard to come by. Use a hunting bullet designed specifically for the task at hand. Just to many variables to take the risk of a failure.

I loaded up some 150gr Nosler ABLRs for a 7-08 that I had. Shot really well I believe I was using a lower charge RL15 or RL19, straight out of the Sierra manual I believe. I intended to use it for deer and elk but gave that rifle to my mom instead.

My neice has her first Bull ELK tag in Nevada and shoots a 7mm-08. The only factory ammo they could find was the Hornady 150 ELD-X I offered to reload for them and would like feedback from shooters who have used the 7mm-08 for Elk. What Bullet and Powder............ Ive used the 708 in the past but used the 120 X
First, how good a shot is she and at what range will she be shooting? An elk is a big target and I feel a good, penetrating premium bullet is more important than a long-range target bullet. As such, and not knowing your niece, I'd opt for a Nosler Partition bullet in 160gr. I've had good luck with Varget running loads to 2500fps. If higher velocities are desired, you might try Hunter. I like 4831 and R-19, but they need to be hot loads to get 2700 fps and accuracy tends to suffer. They both work wonderfully at 2500fps. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I understand that this is a long range forum, but it sounds to me like the O.P. is simply helping out by offering to load up some rounds, not to do load development or push the limits of this cartridge. these rounds should be conservative and more or less duplicate factory ammo but with better bullets. If you have a recipe that is not finicky, is reliable and is conservative then that Is useful. I don't load 7mm-08 unfortunately so can't offer a recipe.
good hunting!

I have 3--7mm-08 rifles and have shot them since 1990--kids have over 40 DRT kills on white tails and countless hogs in a little Browning A-Bolt micro medallion. Used 140 gr Nosler partitions for decades. I see kind of some bizarre advice IMO, here along with some good. Don't use match bullets on game and don't use light bullets on Elk. Currently my go to load is 46 grs, RL-17, 145gr Barnes LRX, CCI-BR-2 Primer and Lapua brass. I get 2844 out of that in a Fierce CT Edge rifle width a 22" barrel and 2770 out of the other two with 20" pipes. My wife took her Weatherby Camilla to Africa and had all one shot kills on some large plains game and my last shot was Mule Buck at 475 yds...all one shot kills. By the way nothing wrong with the Hornady factory ammo in 150 gr ELD-X bullet--I'd just be lazy and shoot that but it just wouldn't shoot in any of the three rifles I have--about 1.5 moa. 156 Oryx or A Frame might be great too--I just haven't ever shot 'em. Try Alliant powders--I seem to get about 50-80 fps faster out of any bullet powder combo over other makes. RL-17 with 140-145 gr, RL-19 for 150-160 or RL 22 for the big heavies.

my neighbor shot 4 pt Roosevelt last year with one and factory loads and it went 400 yards into a mess of brush. Took awhile to find it but they got it out by dark(was shot at first light Oregon coast range)..could have been shot placement but just is what it is. Bullet and shot placement critical is bottom line

Small quibble. The Femur is the upper bone of the REAR leg. The lungs are up front. I think you meant to say "Humerous".

Nice performance regardless!
1600878018232.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts