7mm-08 for elk

Theae bulleta are supposed to give you 100 to 200 fps more than a cup and core bullet, so if tou can get 2,900 with an 140gr Accubond you should be able to get between 3,000 and 3,100 fps with the 140gr Absolute Hammer
Unless Hammer Bullets has come out with 140gr. Absolute Hammer that I haven't seen, right now they only have 155 gr. in .284/7mm which requires a 1:8.5 twist barrel. You can still get the speed but need the faster than normal twist barrel to shoot it.

I would recommend a bullet between 140-162 grs with construction adequate for shot distances anticipated AND one that her rifle 'likes'. The 7-08 is very forgiving on powder selection too; anything between H4895 and H4350 burn rates should work. Brand isn't critical unless you re expecting huge temperature swings; if so select something insensitive. Lastly if you chose a heavier weight bullet might stay on slower burn rate side of the range I mentioned !

Don't be concerned about the ELDM....you have to know how to use it. Please read Nathan Foster's data at ballistics research....ALL I use is the 162 ELDM and he explains very clearly why it works so well - but you have to be using it at the right velocity and distances - too fast a velocity and the bullet is no good at close ranges slow it down and it will slay beasts from point blank out to incredible distances. The assumption is you know how to shoot and are ethical in what you are capable of.

Update on the 162 eld-M ….

9 days in the Maroon Bells Wilderness - right up the road from my house. Hard to get Early season rifle tag above timberline wilderness hunt.

"SENT IT" 840 yards, 17º slope angle - I was at 10,700 buck was at 11,500 hiding in a southwest facing jungle. He gave me a quartering away shot and I slipped the 162 ELD M in my 7mm 08 between the last two ribs angling towards the off shoulder. Bullet entrance was a 2" hole under the hide - it destroyed virtually all vital organs except the heart. He made it 10 yards before piling up and zero meat loss from fragmentation - meaning no exit hole. Ave. MV 2738 / ES 6

I will add this is a long range forum and if you are using "controlled expansion" bullets for long range applications you are WRONG. You must understand bullet jacket properties and how they work regarding distances and velocities - otherwise stay with your partitions and keep it inside 400 yards.

Match bullets are not designed for hunting. Will they kill yes, but as u said the speed rang has to be matched up. Since u never know how far your shot i will be when u head out why would I want a bullet like this? The last thing I would want is Bailey that doesn't fragment properly and not give a good wound channel. This can cause game to run a long ways and possibly go unrecovered. I personally would not want this possibility. So I would highly suggest the eld x over the eld m. Match bullets are just a bad idea for hunting. Just my opinion.

I have an old Stevens 200 in 7-08 with a slow twist (11.5?)... So, it will only stabilize a 120 grain or so, depending on design. I use the Barnes 120 TTSX over 43.5G of Varget at 3000fps. After seeing its performance on deer and hogs, I'd use it on elk. Maybe out to 400 yards? But my limit is probably 300 in the field. I know that my load/rifle holds to 3/4" moa out to 300 yards.

Faster twist rates would allow for bigger bullets. Heavier means longer, so I'd want to know the rifle's twist rate and your expected range before I'd pick a bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts