7mm-08 for Deer

Mine like the 120 gr ttsx very well... with 45 gr Varget. Tiny groups. A very stout load though, with the stouter recoil to boot.

Yt to shoot an animal with mine as it was just built after hunting season but with my load I am looking at 1000 ft/lbs at 850 yards with 162 eldx.

As said, It is one of my favorite cartridges for deer hunting.

It is a very versatile cartridge and can be used by youth and adult alike.

I can recommend the bullets that worked best for me at the ranges hunted.

1 = The 120 grain ballistic tip is devastating at a MV of over 3000 ft/sec
at ranges of 100 to 500 yards on deer because of impact velocity and
bullet performance.

2 = the 140 grain bonded core bullets like the Accubond work very well
at 300+ yards (Again based on performance on deer) they also work well on Elk within reasonable distances.

For shots over 500 yards, I recommend the 150 grain Ballistic tip because of its expansion abilities at those distances. (I have killed 3
deer over 500 yards with a 7/08 pistol using these bullets. A good friend consistently makes shots over 700 yards with his 7/08 and his 7/08 AI using bullets ranging in weight from 140 grain to 162 grains
with 100 % success.

For youths = I would recommend the 120 Ballistic tip loaded 2800 to 2900 ft/sec and ranges held to 250 yards. It will drop deer in there tracks, and recoil will be minimum. And if you really want to help the youngster out, Install a muzzle brake on it and reduce the recoil by more than 50%.

The 7/08 is a very underestimated cartridge and only those that have one understand how versatile it is, and the total performance of this cartridge. The second best group that I have ever shot (.053 thousandths 5 shots)and consistent accuracy is with a 22" barreled 7/08.

Cant say enough about this cartridge.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts