7mm-08 for Deer

10 Ringer

So I have heard generally it is good for deer, but how far do YOU feel comfortable with your 7mm-08 for deer sized game?What bullets and loads do y'all like to use, as well as your experiences with the cartridge. Feel free to post pics! TIA 10 Ringer gun)

10, my son bought my grandson a Ruger in 7mm-08 last year. I loaded the 140gr Berger for it. This rifle shot them with great accuracy out to 300 which is as far as he has gone. This caliber is often overlooked, especially for youngsters. He hasn't used it to hunt deer with yet, but I think it will easily get the job done. He's 9 years old and has to wait another year to hunt.

So I have heard generally it is good for deer, but how far do YOU feel comfortable with your 7mm-08 for deer sized game?What bullets and loads do y'all like to use, as well as your experiences with the cartridge. Feel free to post pics! TIA 10 Ringer gun)

I had a Tikka in the 7/08 and it would shoot 3/8" groups at 100 yards with 140 gr. Sierra bullets. I was at the gun range a while back and there was a fella there shooting a Ruger No. 1 in the 7/08 and he was using Speer 160 gr. Hot Cor bullets and he too was getting some small groups. But he told me last year he shoot a nice buck across a hay field that was 435 yards with the same load he was shooting at the gun range. There is a lot of info on the 7/08 it's a really good cartridge.

I run the 131g Hammer Hunter in my daughters Vanguard 7-08 at 3100fps. That gives her solid capability out to 700y. With a zero at 325y she has point blank range out to 375y on a 5" radius. We have never put a good scope for dialing on her rifle so I always set her up with mine if the range gets over 400y. Thinking this year we may have to extend her range with this combo.

The 7-08 is a great cartridge. I chose it for my daughter when she started hunting because I knew it would be plenty for elk out 400y.

Steve

We shoot the 7mm-08 lots at my house. We have four total. I load 140 gr Nosler ballistic tips for deer and switch to the 140 accubonds if we're chasing elk. Both bullets over the same charge of Varget. For deer I feel that load runs out of energy and velocity around 550 yards.

This is my oldest boy's first deer. Courtesy of his 7mm-08.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 417
Took a decent 3 point mulie with it. Uphill shot, broke a rib, bounced of the underside of his spine, clipped a rib on the way out, and was never to be found. This surprised me as it was lasered at 435 yards. This was a boring 140gr Hornady BTSP moving along at 2825. I like the 7-08 a lot. It's underrated.

. Feel free to post pics! )

My buddy uses it, likes it.

Pics sometimes crack me up. As if we don't believe you shot that 6 pointer without 3 pics.

But if pictures of dead deer make you feel more confident, fine.

With a 162 Amax/ELD I'm comfortable out to 6-700 with my 7-08 on deer. In correct conditions of course.

My buddy uses it, likes it.

Pics sometimes crack me up. As if we don't believe you shot that 6 pointer without 3 pics.

But if pictures of dead deer make you feel more confident, fine.

I'm thinking maybe 10 Ringer was hoping for pictures of rifles, but then some silly guy threw pictures of his kid in there and that's where the post went south.

I'm thinking maybe 10 Ringer was hoping for pictures of rifles, but then some silly guy threw pictures of his kid in there and that's where the post went south.

Yes HNDLR, I was talking about rifle pics mainly , and maybe a pic of exit wound.gun)

Hey HANDLDR- I just picked up a Mod 700 Classic in 7x57 (its getting tweaked at the gunsmiths now) ...I'll be trying some 140ABs, just wondering what your load is? I have Norma and RWS brass. I've read where I can use 7mm-08 data in a mod 700 7x57. I had a little Kimber 84M for years in 7mm08, but never got it to shoot very well with anything as well as the older 139 SST Light Mag so just used them for deer. I'm not a long range hunter ( 375 has been my record on several animals with different rounds in the past 20yrs or so) but like bullets/loads that will work on angling shots for elk in timber ( and big hogs) that SST never gave me an exit hole in deer at 200, though deadly. If I still lived in East Texas it would be a great one on those small deer. Thanks. ( and Congrats to your daughter!)

I have a Weatherby Vangaurd in 7-08 and I love it I load 140 grn Nosler Accubonds for it and have taken countless wild board, blacktail , Mule deer and antelope with it. My granddaughters will all use it soon to take their first deer. I'm sure Papa will be buying 3 more 7-08s great round.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.