7mm 08 bullets

I've had 2 7mm-08's (Tikka and Ruger American). The Tikka is not picky and shoot Gamekings, Prohunter, Hot Cor's, Interbonds and Accubonds well with either IMR-4350 or Varget. The Ruger is partial to Interbonds and Interlocks and does well with RL-15 and Varget.

What are your opinions on the 120 Ballistic Tip vs 120 Pro Hunter performance on whitetails?

How about the 140 VLD? At 7-08 velocity would it still be good up close?

I just started reloading and will be loading for 3 different 7-08's. Have not purchased any powders, but thinking Varget so I can use in 308 Win and in a pinch for 223 Rem (currently using Benchmark).

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, one of the many things I like about this cartridge is that you can use some of the softer bullets without worry because they arent going to fast so they don't fragment at close range. Example the 139gr SST I use, it is deadly from 50m to 550m in this cartridge but pushed faster on a 7mm Rem Mag and at close range it will blow up.

Besides Varget for bullets between 120gr and 140gr, IMR-4064 is a proven powder that works great, just food for thought.

Hope this helps and stay safe

What are your opinions on the 120 Ballistic Tip vs 120 Pro Hunter performance on whitetails?

How about the 140 VLD? At 7-08 velocity would it still be good up close?

I just started reloading and will be loading for 3 different 7-08's. Have not purchased any powders, but thinking Varget so I can use in 308 Win and in a pinch for 223 Rem (currently using Benchmark).

Thanks

Steve

Forgot to mention, the 120gr Ballistic Tip is better at longer ranges, the Prohunter is a bit more stout and better at shorter distances.

I'd start off with the Remington Core Lokt 140gr bullets, you gotta start somewhere and these ALWAYS shoot good for me. I don;t have a Tikka, but these cheap readily available cartridges always shoot accurately for me and my hunting partners, so if it were me these would be the first ones I tested.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.