7mm-08 bullet for mule deer & black bear

Thorny

I have a stainless Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 that shoots Barnes bullets really well (140-grain TSX...3 dead mulies and 1 elk over the last 3 years in Montana, 40-257 yard shots). I've just gotten into reloading and I'm wondering about other bullet weights with the Barnes. I'll be doing a high hunt this fall for mule deer and black bear. I'm expecting that my shots will be in the 200 yard range, but have been told to be ready for a possible 300-400 yard shot. So what do folks think about 120-grain TTSX vs. 140-grain TTSX. Or how about Barnes 145-grain LRX? Or should I be packing my .270 Win? Thanks for your thoughts. gun)

I dont have anything against the Barnes line of premium bullets, But in my opinion, with the lower velocities that the 7mm-08 gives us, a much cheaper bullet can do the trick. I shot a whitetail at 394yds and a speed goat at 208yds with a 150gr Sierra SBT and both dropped immediatly in their tracks. Expansion was good and had exits on both.

That being said, if you want to stick witht he Barnes, I would personally go with the 140gr TTSX. Better down range energy and BC. The 270 is obviously going to give you more energy, But the 7mm-08 will get it done for sure....

At those ranges you've got plenty of gun. I'd suggest though stepping up to the Hornady Interlock or Interbond in 150gr. You'll likely be very happy with the results particularly of the interbond.

I have a stainless Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 that shoots Barnes bullets really well (140-grain TSX...3 dead mulies and 1 elk over the last 3 years in Montana, 40-257 yard shots). I've just gotten into reloading and I'm wondering about other bullet weights with the Barnes. I'll be doing a high hunt this fall for mule deer and black bear. I'm expecting that my shots will be in the 200 yard range, but have been told to be ready for a possible 300-400 yard shot. So what do folks think about 120-grain TTSX vs. 140-grain TTSX. Or how about Barnes 145-grain LRX? Or should I be packing my .270 Win? Thanks for your thoughts. gun)

I dont think I would change anything if your practice time and confidence in your current load is high.

I've loaded 150 Partitions and 140 Accubonds for my daughters 7-08, with excellent results on both mulies and elk. I used it last year with the 140 AB to take two elk, a mature bull at about 30 yards, with a point of shoulder hit that I found diagonally on the other side of the animal, behind the last rib against the hide, and a mature cow with another diagonal shot from the last rib through the chest cavity length-wise to the far shoulder.
The might 7-08 strikes again!!!

Your current load obviously works well for you I wouldn't change a thing, but go ahead and experiment with other bullets and see if you find something you like. you'll still have a load that you know works well.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts