7mm-08 barrel length

jasche

Need some advice.

Im having Kevin Rayhill of Stockade guns build me my first long range rifle. I was originally planning on a 308 but have now decided on going with a 7mm-08 with the 162 amax. Most all of my shooting will take place in the field prone or sitting with a bipod. I dont want it super heavy but would like a little weight there. Im wondering what your opinion would be on the optimal barrel length? After limited searching on the net, most ive found preferred around 22 inches but that was mainly on compact rifles. I was thinking 25-26 inch for mine? Would the longer barrel allow me to use a tad slower powder than usual for a bit more performance?

I hope I made sense. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I am having one built right now, but not for super long range hunting. max 300-350 yards. Im going 23" #4 contour fluted. I wouldnt think you need more than 24" for a 7mm-08. You carrying this rifle? What are you hunting? How far you shooting? More info you give, easier to give suggestions.

I'm going to be building a 7-08 as well this year, hoping to push the 162 a-max as well. Was wondering the same thing about the 26 inch barrel length.
are you having your chamber throated specifically for this bullet?

Need some advice.

Im having Kevin Rayhill of Stockade guns build me my first long range rifle. I was originally planning on a 308 but have now decided on going with a 7mm-08 with the 162 amax. Most all of my shooting will take place in the field prone or sitting with a bipod. I dont want it super heavy but would like a little weight there. Im wondering what your opinion would be on the optimal barrel length? After limited searching on the net, most ive found preferred around 22 inches but that was mainly on compact rifles. I was thinking 25-26 inch for mine? Would the longer barrel allow me to use a tad slower powder than usual for a bit more performance?

I hope I made sense. Thanks for your help.

The 7/08 has limited powder capacity and works well with 18" to 24".

The most jump in velocity per inch seems to be between 20' and 22" the 24 inch barrel
will only net you 20 to 50 ft/sec over the 22" and a 26" around 60 ft/sec over the 22''
barrel.

I have a 20" barrel on mine and my best load is 3010 ft/sec with a 120 gr bullet,and with
a max load I can still get 3000 ft/sec using a 140 gr bullet,

I have also built several 7/08s with 22 and 23" barrels and they run 3050 ft/sec avg.
with the same 120gr load.

After 23" the increase in velocity per inch drops of fast .hence the reason most 7/08s
have short barrels.

I don't use bullets heaver than 140gr in the 7/08s so with big bullets a few more inches
might help but not much.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help so far. This rifle will be used basically to learn the craft of long range shooting. At first i'll mainly be shooting steel, milk jugs, and prairie dogs at various ranges and learn as i go. Wont be too far to start with but im hoping to stretch it to 8-1000ish. It'll go deer hunting with me when i get confident with it.

I wanted to go with 7mm-08 because its a mild round, flies a bit better than the 308, and hits a bit harder than the 260. Its going on a savage long action so when i become a better shot to the point where I can take advantage of a bigger case i can just rebarrel to something bigger.

Yes i plan on throating it for the 162 amax. I dont think the 180's would have much advantage in this smaller case.

Thanks for the advice!

I went with a 26" Bartlien barrel on my 7-08...and with Win brass...Varget powder and 168 berger VLD's I am safely getting 2775 fps with a standard match throat. I am seating the bergers .020 off the lands as that is where they shot the best..(short of jammed)

I just got some RE-17 and am going to be testing that. But with the bergers at that speed they are almost identical in balistics to the 260 139 scenar load with a heavier bullet.

I got good performance out of my 24 inch rock last barrel..but I think the extra inches aided in a little more velocity...

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.