7mm-08 barrel length

i have read remington tested aprox 25 fps.for each inch of bbl length i dont remember wich calibers but i assume it would be not much different in magnum calibers seems me it would be more in hotter 22 centerfres like 22-250 and 22 swift just my guess.

Seems like I'm a oddball still using IMR 4350 and W760. I've got plenty and has worked well for me.
You definitely are not an oddball! I'm in my late sixties and the 7-08 has been my choice whitetail cartridge for quite a few years and IMR 4350 has been with me since. Maybe not the fastest and temp stable, but I'm always able to produce steady .5-.75 moa consistently with 140gr bullets shooting an off the shelf XBolt bedded and replaced spring in the rock, oops I meant trigger. With the lighter projectiles, Varget is my choice. There are more than a few powders that work well with shooters, but most will agree they are impressed with the efficiency of the '08 in its window.

My little Kimber Montana 7-08 has a 22" barrel. It is a pleasure to carry and shoot. I shoot the 150gr ELD-X. It has been a one-shot killer for deer and elk. I'm shooting IMR4166 and getting about 5/8" groups.
10CF6182-F8BF-47CE-83C4-7CFB14EEF614.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting cartridge. My 14 year old son and I have run a few hundred 7-08's downrange through a 14" barreled Savage Striker with the brake this year as he preps for youth deer season. For the most part we are running 39 I4895 with a 154 Hdy interlock fb at 2400 fps. Switching to 48 Sta-ball and the 150 nos. bt we are getting 2500 fps from the pistol but the recoil and concussion are far worse; the kicker is Sta-ball is burning dirty enough that after 20 rounds or so the adjustable brake nearly seized.
As a comparison I've run a couple boxes of the hdy American Hunter 139's through the pistol; they run about 2550 fps from the stubby barrel.
fyi., the pistol started out as a 22-250 and I was given the 7-08 bbl.. I installed the barrel myself- screwed it down tight on a go-gauge so I'm not getting a bunch of loss in vel. from case stretch. Only a couple thou. growth per firing too.