7mm-08 and RL16

CoastalShooter907

Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has much experience with this combo? Looking specifically for 162eld and 168 vld but any experience is useful. Sending an email to alliant to see if they have any guidance as well. Couldn't get ahold of any H4350 locally, so trying 16 out to see if it is an acceptable substitute.

Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has much experience with this combo? Looking specifically for 162eld and 168 vld but any experience is useful. Sending an email to alliant to see if they have any guidance as well. Couldn't get ahold of any H4350 locally, so trying 16 out to see if it is an acceptable substitute.
look on the speer reloading data site I believe they show some data for rl 16 the staball 6.5 works well also if its available

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, they do have data for the 160 and 175. Showing a difference of 0.2 grains for max charge between the 2 bullets. That looks promising, and with the significantly smaller bearing surface of the 2 bullets I'm looking to use, could get a little more FPS.

Thanks for the suggestion, they do have data for the 160 and 175. Showing a difference of 0.2 grains for max charge between the 2 bullets. That looks promising, and with the significantly smaller bearing surface of the 2 bullets I'm looking to use, could get a little more FPS.
I shot 50grs and a magnum primer under a 139 Hornady. Clocked about 3025 in a 22" barrel. over max in some current books though.

50 Grs of 760? Not looking to push these 2 bullets too much, but hit somewhere around 2700+/- with accuracy and consistency.
That load shot lights out in that old Remington. Showed no pressure with the Hornady SST. Fantastic deer load. It was just below max in an old book, couple grains over in current ones..... Might freeze the bolt in your rifle. No two are alike and you have to work up, BUT, I would sure have this powder on the list to try if I had a new 7-08. It was very consistent.

On the Alliant, web site, they have a initial load chart, and it covers most applicable rounds that they cover, Including 7-08. I have some, and havent tried it yet. Shooting 17 now.

Last edited:
I can't seem to beat IMR4350/H4350 in my guns, tried but nothing has equaled the accuracy. Tried H380,H414,RL15,IMR4895, and IMR4064. Haven't tried RL17 and probably won't try any other's now. Once I hit a tight grouper I stay with it. Wish you lived near me....H4350 and IMR4350 both available 2 miles up the road, course I'm a steady customer. Dave

Yeah, being in Alaska you have to take what you can get sometimes. Looking at the burn rate chart RL16 falls right between the 2 4350's and slightly faster than RL17 so it should work. What info I have found granted it's for the 6.5 creed it looks to be a pretty consistent as far as ES/SD. I do have H4895, Varget, IMR 4064, and 4955, but figured the 4350 burn rate would give me the best speeds with the 160 class bullets

I never shot heavier than 140s in my 7-08, but 4350, RL16, or Varget just didn't give me the speed I wanted. Big Game gave me the speed I was looking for. I don't know how it would do with the heavys, though.

Has anyone tried the other 4350? (Accurate arms) It was readily available when the others weren't. I purchased some and it seems to work just fine in my 270wsm. (being very careful ) using the Manufactures data of course.

Has anyone tried the other 4350? (Accurate arms) It was readily available when the others weren't. I purchased some and it seems to work just fine in my 270wsm. (being very careful ) using the Manufactures data of course.
I have heard it is very consistent, lot to lot!

I never shot heavier than 140s in my 7-08, but 4350, RL16, or Varget just didn't give me the speed I wanted. Big Game gave me the speed I was looking for. I don't know how it would do with the heavys, though.
I can't seem to find it around here. I've heard the same from others. My dealer, has Blackhorn, but not the Big Game.
That is Western Powder, correct?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.