7mm-08 and 160 Nos Partition - Experiences?

frankinaustin

Howdy from Austin Texas -
General question to the wider community: what - if any - have been your experiences pushing 160 gr Nosler Partitions from a 7mm-08? Performance on game? Wisdom from load development? Etc etc.

I've got a good load for 160 Speer, but never shot game. I've got several good loads on 120 BT and killed LOTS of critters.

Context: looking to make my 7mm-08 a 300 yard Elk killer.

Thanks, all.

Frank

I've heard many say the 150PT is better in the 7-08. I haven't tried any partitions in my 7-08 yet. Only killed a mulie with it and a lowly 139btsp.

150gr accubond would be a pretty good choice and an easy 300yd elk bullet. I have no experience, but have heard the 708 performance drops off after 150gr. By my rough calculations w/150gr pill you should be good to 400yds.

My girlfriend and friend both took elk w/ 708, factory savage youth that shoots lights out w/ several loads. One was with federal premium 139gr barnes @ about 150yds and was dead on the other side of the ridge. The other was with a 150gr barnes at 200yds and it took maybe 2 steps, pretty much center punched the heart.

Old thread but am looking for similar info.

I have a 7mm-08 with a factory Mt. Rifle barrel but McMillan Mt. Rifle stock. Wanting to make it more appropriate for 300 yard-ish elk. Thinking 150/160 Partitions. Any thoughts since this thread was posted over 4 years ago?

I have 2 7mm-08's.

One is a GAP NT that shoots 140 NABs very well and I have taken many WT with it. I use it for all around WT hunting and am very pleased with it.

My 2nd is a 700 MR with factory 22 inch bbl. It has not shot the 140 NABs in the loads I have tried that well.(it does like RL17 and 140 SGKs) I am wanting to shoot heavier bullets in this setup, thus the request about 150 and 160 NPTs. I have other elk capable rifles but this is just an itch I am wanting to scratch,). The rifle will be used more for still hunting/rattling and out of climbers in thick woods when not sporadically used on an elk. Simply put, I just like the idea and want to try the heavier 150 or 160s and am looking for experiences with them. Thanks.

I shot 160 nos spitzers back in the day out of a 20" and I shot a bull around 70 yards going away and got full penetration stern to stem x2 a few deer also. greatcombo

I haven't tried anything over 150s but have had great results with cheap ole 150 Core Lokt reloads and recently switched over to the 150 Accubond Long Range. Smoking fast (relatively speaking) at close to 2800fps with Hunter powder and extremely accurate. Carrying over 1500lbs of energy past 400 yards and holds together fairly well. Great bullet for the 7-08. (VLD meets Accubond and 9 months later....)

A bit of a sideways observation: I've been hunting with 162 amax over big game and getting a tad over 2800 FPS. Blows the fool out of some chest cavities. And goes a long way real straight .

I've owned a couple of 7-08s over the years. I always shot the Nosler 140 gr. Ballistic Tip, just because they shoot in anything you put them in.
But as far as the Nosler Partition, I've tried them in 4 different 7 Mags and I just can't make them shoot great. I really wanted a 7 Mag that would shoot the Nosler 175 gr. Partition for elk, but back in those days no one was making a fast twist 7 mm barrel. The 9 and 9.25 twist barrels just wouldn't stabilize the 175. So I dropped to the 160 gr. Partition and worked on that instead. The end result was that every other 160 gr. bullet shot better than the Partition. I think that something about the H Mantle in the bullet just throws it's balance out of whack.
So, if I wanted a bonded core bullet that shoots accurat, I'd try the Accubond or Swift Scirocco or something along those lines.
I just wish the Partitions would shoot better, they work great as far as terminal ballistics is concerned

I experimented with 160 partitions in 7mm08. Case capacity is an issue, which excludes many powders.

I tested W760 amd RL17 in lapua brass, fed210m, 2.800", long throated kimber

W760:
44.6, 2.5" group
45.0, 3/4" group
45.4, 7/8" group, 2,710fps (22")
45.8, 1-1/8" group

RL17:
44.8, 7/8" group
45.2, 1-1/2" group
45.6, 3/8" group, 2740 fps
46.0, 1-3/8" group

Have not tried this on game yet.

Been using the 7mm-08 for 35 years now and at 300 yds it will work great on Elk, I would go for the shoulder with it. It has worked great for me on Mule deer and my dad knocked down several Elk with them, all one shot kills.

You can also try the 150gr Accubond with some Hunter or Reloader 19. 154gr Hornady Interbond is another great option.

I am a very big fan of the 7/08 and have taken deer beyond 500 yards with different bullets and based on the results have came to the conclusion that the 120s and 140s
are the best at 7/08 velocities. In my opinion, he cartridge doesn't hold enough powder to get the heavies moving fast enough to produce the desired velocity for optimum performance.

The ballistic tips have also been the best performers over all other bullets. In my 7 STW the partitions work well because of the higher velocities especially down range. The partitions can be very accurate but need velocity to perform and the 7/08 just cant reach the needed velocity.

The heaviest bullet that I have ever had good luck with was the 150 grain ballistic tip and it was in a 16" barreled bolt action Pistol. For elk, the heaviest bullet I would recommend would be a 140 or 150 grain ballistic tip or the Accubond and hold the range to 400 yards with good shot placement. The ballistic tip may not exit a full size elk, but shot in the boiler room he will go down.

Remember, It's not Bullet BCs or weight, it's bullet performance @ the point of impact. and velocity is the key in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.