7mm-08 AI on Small Primer Brass

Weaver93

Just wanted to ask you guys how many 7mm-08 shooters use SRP brass when reloading either standard or AI? I asked the fellas at Alpha if they ever considered it and they said they never had a request for SRP 7mm-08 brass and I just found that strange.

I know I make mine out of .260 SRP Alpha brass. It isn't a big deal, I would just like the 7mm-08 head stamp since I have a .260 AI.

Last edited:
I use Lapua .308 SRP brass, but usually trim the necks. Did notice anything really over the Lapua 7-08 brass

I use Lapua .308 SRP brass, but usually trim the necks. Did notice anything really over the Lapua 7-08 brass
So you saw no advantage to small primer brass with the 7mm-08? I just read all the time that with AI or other ctgs like the 7mm SAW it seems all reloaders are looking for small primer pockets.

So you saw no advantage to small primer brass with the 7mm-08? I just read all the time that with AI or other ctgs like the 7mm SAW it seems all reloaders are looking for small primer pockets.
Probably should clarify my statement: When I say I DIDN'T (spl corrected) notice anything over the large primer brass what I mean is I saw no affect on accuracy or precision. However, I can understand why people want small rifle primer brass because with more material in that area of the brass you can potentially get more firings on the brass especially if you anneal. Additionally, it might allow someone to load a bit hotter.

Probably should clarify my statement: When I say I DIDN'T (spl corrected) notice anything over the large primer brass what I mean is I saw no affect on accuracy or precision. However, I can understand why people want small rifle primer brass because with more material in that area of the brass you can potentially get more firings on the brass especially if you anneal. Additionally, it might allow someone to load a bit hotter.
10-4, that is what I was thinking too. I just found it strange that Alpha said they never had a request for 7mm-08 SP brass when just about everyone I speak with forms it out of small pocket brass. I think they make all the 7mm SAW brass on small pockets.

I can definitely do that too, it would just be nice to have the correct caliber on the head.

I'm using the Lapua 308 palma brass necked down. Necks are a touch thick but work well in my chamber. Can't say its any better or worse than other 7mm-08 brass, but when you have a bunch of small rifle primers and are low on large rifle, its better than sitting at home. I've had trouble with some ball powders, definitely something you would want to test at low temps before hunting with it.

I use Petersen SRP 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 brass with magnum primers (CCI 450) and I like them. I bought a case of Petersen 308 168 RDF with SRP and shot this group last week. 10 rounds into this group. 100yds.
IMG_0738.jpg

Personally, yes. With that said, I've shot some very small groups with standard large rifle primers and careful loading. I think that application should weigh heavily in your decision making. If you're hunting then it doesn't matter, most of my hunting rounds are loaded with large rifle primers, if you're shooting F-class where you strive for caliber sized groups, it might. But then so do all of the other requisites come into play when loading for that level of shooting, not to mention the rifle and whether it will benefit in a meaningful way by using SRP primers.

Remington used to produce what they called benchrest brass, it was the 308 case with small primer pockets, shooters loved the stuff, however big game hunters were encountering miss fires on cold weather hunts when using full cases of stick powders,

You all have shared some really good advice and insight. My goal with the 7mm-08 AI round was to see how fast, within reason, I could drive a 160 class projectile and I thought small pockets would hold up better over the long run. Maybe, with high quality brass, I can get there without SRPs. Or where ever I wind up will be satisfactory even though you guys know it never is!

I just wanted to avoid the added step of necking a case up or down, but it seems that will be unavoidable if I want small primers. I have .243 in AI and a .260 AI, both small pockets, so I guess I could expand the .260, but I wanted the proper caliber on the case. Sounds stupid, but I don't want things to get mixed up.

Question for you Weaver93; how much improvement did you see when you AI'ed your 260. I did that to my 243, my 250 Savage, and my 25:06. Considering AI'ing my 260 and my 7:08.
Couple caveats with the .260 AI, it was a rebarrel from a Brux to a Hawk Hill (both 26") and I just formed the SRP brass so everything so far is large primer pockets. Without really pushing (you can probably do more, but I don't push that hard) I can get another 140-150 fps out of the 142 SMKs with the AI and another 2 gr of H4350 without any pressure problems. You could probably do even better with a med action, but I've always been fascinated with seeing what I could do with a SA. I'm thinking I can get close to 2950 by pushing a bit on the small primer brass, but if not 2850ish fps with the 142s is pretty good for me. I know the SRP brass is just masking symptoms if you push hard, but it is cool seeing what you can get with that little extra oomph. I am hoping that I can move 160ish 7mm bullets above 2800 fps out of a 7mm-08 AI.....we'll see.

In a few of my 7-08 AIs, I use 42.8-43.0 grains of Varget, 162gr AMax, 24"brl, and get 2820-2835 fps