7mm-08 2 part question

mrbofus

Greetings,

First off anyone shoot 130 gr bullets (hunting) out of a 7mm-08 and to what results and bullet selection?

Second was given some Nosler combined tech 140 gr ballistic silvertips that are have a Lubalox coating on them. Any problems shooting them vs non coated bullets?

The reason I ask is because I have some older MOLY coated bullets and was told that makes the barrell real hard to clean and once shoot moly, stick with moly.

I hope that isnt the same with the Lubalox bullets, or should I pass them along and dont mess with them?

Thanks and forgive dumb question, looking for some good advise.

I don't have a 7mm-08 but I was shooting lubalox bullets for a bit in a 22-250. They shot really good but I had to use a little different cleaning methods with them not harder just different.

for a 130 gr bullet i shoot the Speer BTSP (model 1624) over 40.2 gr of IMR4064. That's a GREAT load until I start getting sloppy behind the trigger. Me thinks the Speer Hotcor flatbase 130 would shoot more accurately in my rifle (22" cooper)

130 SMKs over 38.0 gr of IMR4064 is a famously accurate load. And depending on your mindset, that can be a great doe-killing round. (headshots)

38.5 gr of Varget gets me an ok group under the Speer 130 BTSPs

the speer is the bullet I was looking at. I am asking because the 130g works very well out of a 270 so why wouldn't it make a great deer round out of the 7-08?

I have good results with sierra 140 pro hunters, didn't really get the 150's to shoot that well and someone suggested 160's.

I guess if it aint broke don't fix it, eh

Take a try at the nos BT 120. It's an awesome deer killer. Better than Speer. The front part is kinda explodey like a Berger and the back portion has a thick jacket and will bust thru leg bones real nice. The overall lethality margin is greater if you get siezmic shakes like I do when you see an animal. Seems to make up for when I jerk the trigger like I'm starting a rusty lawn mower.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.