7mag load help

firstcoueswas80

i have a rem 700 7mag with Jlock on it. i am trying to find a load for the gun with 120 TSX. i know, you guys are going to say go 140 with the higher BC, but the farthest i will ever shoot is MAYBE 500 yards. i have ben having trouble getting it to shoot with the smallest group around 1-1 1/4 inches. i have loaded it with H4350 and H4831sc win brass and f215m primers. i have on hand some R22 and f210 primers, should i look more at changing powders or lenghts? does anyone have a load that shoots well out of there 7mag? i am looking at under 1 inch at 100 with the gun.
Casey

[ QUOTE ]
i know, you guys are going to say go 140 with the higher BC

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't tell you to go w/the 140 gr. I'll tell you to go w/the 160 gr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the rifle was not designed to shoot this lite of a bullet. I'd bet you get better accuracy out of the heavier bullets.

Don't have any loads, but the 140 is PLENTY for a 500 yard kill. Also, if it is factory, the rifle probably is twisted for the lighter bullets.

try a different bullet first the barnes are a love hate type bullet. either they shoot good in your gun(love them) or they shoot like crap (hate them)

d-a

You may want to get rid of the Jlock firing pin assembly. I did and it did wonders for my trigger pull. You may also see an improvement in accuracy as well. Here's the one I used.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=440881
I had good luck with IMR 4350 and the 140 gr ballistic tip in my 7mag. Hope you can find a bullet that shoots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know, you guys are going to say go 140 with the higher BC

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't tell you to go w/the 140 gr. I'll tell you to go w/the 160 gr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that the rifle was not designed to shoot this lite of a bullet. I'd bet you get better accuracy out of the heavier bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly

FCW80,
I tried some 120gr Sierra Spitzer in my 7mag Sendero back in Oct 2000. Didn't have a chrono at the time but the load data was 58gr of IMR 4320 using a Rem case and CCI BR2 primers. Accuracy ran .4015" for 3-shot groups @ 100yds. I did shoot them for groups at 500yds - ONCE. The wind blew them (120's) all over the board. I don't think I've shot them anymore.
I think you should look at replacing the j-lock bolt shroud assembly. Take that bolt apart and look how convuluted your firing pin spring is. Compare that to a non j-lock bolt. JohnnyK.

150gr BT
67.5gr R22
Norma case
Rem Mag primer
Seated to fit my mag

160 AB
64.8gr R22
Norma case
Rem Mag primer
Seated to fit my mag

Both of these combo's works wonders in my M700 and will do nice out to said range. Sorry I never fired anything lighter then 140gr in my 7mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.