7mag & 175eldx?

Pete Carrasco

is anyone running a 175 eldx out of there 7 mag ? if so what powder and charge are you running and what kind of FPS are you getting. hornady book says H1000 with max should be around 2700 which i though was slow any help?

Make sure you have the twist to stabilize that bullet. Hornady recommends 1:8 or faster.

Here's what happens using a 1:10. Notice the holes are not round.

Attachments

• 20190901_173822.jpg
    20190901_173822.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 243
my question is how is everyone getting those speeds i understand your powder measurements but that is over max in book I've always been one to go off of a book never over max loads ?

Also what is the COAL shown for 175 ELD-X in the Hornady book?
Probably 3.340" or less, I have my rifle's barrel chambered to allow the 175/180 grain bullets to not have the shank of the bullet just above the boat tail to be below the neck shoulder junction of the case which allows for being able to use a little more powder safely.
You should always work up your load slowly watching for pressure signs, flattened primers, ejector marks, harder bolt lift/extraction etc.... , if you experience any of these signs you back down your powder charge, neither of the loads I use have any signs of high/max pressure.

It's been stated above but the OAL for SAAMI spec 7 mag is short and it's also not a 65k psi "magnum" like the 300 WM etc. so the reloading manual will be conservative because Hornady's published loads were shot in a SAAMI spec pressure barrel.

I run a 7mm WSM and can hit 3k in a 26" barrel with RL-26 or H1000. Either powder or Retumbo will likely get you real close to 3k.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts