7LRM or 7WSM This is painful!

Sound to me like you are pushing the limit of the 7mm when your going from 875-1000as a starting point. Why not step up to a larger platform.

I'm very confident that I will put that 180VLD right where it needs to be and I will recover the bull. I have been working on this kill for a long time and next year with a little luck in the weather it will go down. I've always been a great shot and I can shoot this rifle extremely well, and it doesn't kick my butt at 11lbs. This rifle is my first full custom and all I can say is WOW! I am getting hungry for a big 338 though. Maybe a 338Lapua? I almost was going to ask one of the pros here to come out to Oregon and kill one with me.

Im just saying that you are using almost 1000 yards for your starting point, and specifically elk. That is where many would consider the 7mm to be at max for elk. You sound very confident, which is good. But if no tracking snow, bad wind call and many other things that happen in hunting. I was pushing my 7mm too far, years ago, after a dozen elk, and up graded.

Aaron sent me a pc of formed brass and the case was not intended to be the fastest.

It is interesting, for those not familiar with the 375 ruger the case head is the same as a belted magnum at .532" but the case has no belt and has a very shallow taper to the shoulder.

What Aaron did was neck it down and lengthen the neck, so it kind of resembles an oversized 6.5x47 lapua. Yet the case is shorter than your standard magnums, thus allowing it to feed in standard LA mag boxes or DBM assemblies with out ever worrying about bullets set into the case capacity.

This cartriage lacks the rebated rim of the ultramag and should feed as well or better than most cartriages in a LA.

I personally like it and think it will catch on once his labeled brass becomes available.

This is EXACTLY what i was getting at! Im glad someone that everyone respects confirms every reason im going with this round.

I agree that 1K yds. is the absolute max and I would only take that shot under totally ideal conditions. At 875-900yds. I'm ready 100% under good conditions. I've had to hold off my buddy with his 300RUM several times because he's still too inconsistant. I've held off myself a few times due to a little "ELK FEVER". I never loose my composure over deer, but there's something about elk that get's me goin'. I hope that one day during the season they stroll out of the timber at the closer range and the conditions are right and I don't **** myself. I'm learning all the time what it really takes to make the long range ethical shot. It's a shame that some of those TV huntin' shows make it seem so easy. Thanks for the advice!

One last tidbit. I have to hike in several miles and the shot is a cross canyon mother that starts at 500' elevation on the shoot from side to 1500-2000' on the bulls side. The actual shoot to range is 820-925yds. Have you ever tried shooting at a steep uphill angle while laying at a steep downhill angle? We spent a good part of a summer 3yrs ago digging out and building a shooting platform for when the day arrives that a good shot presents itself. The funny thing is that quite a few of the locals know about the bulls whereabouts, but contend that they are impossible to harvest. I felt the same way until I stumbled upon this forum, and my life has never been the same since! Sorry for the highjack, but you guy's are the only ones that understand! Go with the 7LRM and don't look back, you won't regret it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.